Gary B

Brick garden beds?

For my first year of planting veggies, I used some old left over wood panels that I had and built some beds that have worked really well, but after only 2 seasons they are looking pretty sad. Now I have a lot of bricks and cement left over from a build on the house and I was thinking of building raised beds out of mortar and bricks.

Has anyone done anything like this before? I know it's there to stay, but I'm not planning on moving it anyday soon anyway.

Any cons?

Thanks

- Gary

Roger

The only negative thing I can think of would be that water could possibly leach lime from the cement and would gradually raise the pH of the soil in the bed over time. I don't know how extensive or severe this would be: perhaps someone else here knows more.

I imagine the beds would look very nice, though.

Gary B

Roger wrote:The only negative thing I can think of would be that water could possibly leach lime from the cement and would gradually raise the pH of the soil in the bed over time. I don't know how extensive or severe this would be: perhaps someone else here knows more.

I imagine the beds would look very nice, though.
This was something that I was worried about as well. But I was hoping that something like this would only get to the point where I would have to do something about it after a prolonged period of time.

The biggest downside that I can find is price and seeing that I already have all of the materials on site, this once again is costing me nothing.

I also think that they'll look nice, with a nice little foundation, I can see many years of use from something like this.

Thanks.

beechnut1974
Newly Registered

I have some raised beds that are surrounded by cement bricks. I work new organic soil into them each year along with mulch and have never had any problems. These beds are over 20 years old so no complaints here.

Gary B

beechnut1974 wrote:I have some raised beds that are surrounded by cement bricks. I work new organic soil into them each year along with mulch and have never had any problems. These beds are over 20 years old so no complaints here.
That's what I wanted to hear. :D . With my compost heap in full swing, I will be constantly working in new soil when I either top up or plant a new variety of veggies in them.

I like the fact that you've had yours for over 20 years. Wood this side of the globe is expensive and would actually cost me about 4 times more than nice brick beds and it would only last a few years if left untreated.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”