Pepper

Bug Control

The weather here in Florida has remained reasonably cool well in to may but soon the heat will come along with all manner of chewing & sucking bugs.

I'm hand picking grass hoppers (Georgia thumpers) and use BT to control Lepidopterous larva.

Any advice on other non toxic bug control?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Cloves were good for one insect I just forget which, I found an article on insect control years ago but, I couldn't find it in the library yesterday.

Anyway, cinnamon works for ants.

Neem oil (don't use more than once a week) works if you have a real problem with insects.

Soapy water works for aphids as well as using ladybugs.

canuck

I was just wondering does the cinnamon kill the ants or just deter them from going to wherever you sprinkle it??

Jess
Greener Thumb

Pepper wrote:The weather here in Florida has remained reasonably cool well in to may but soon the heat will come along with all manner of chewing & sucking bugs.

I'm hand picking grass hoppers (Georgia thumpers) and use BT to control Lepidopterous larva.

Any advice on other non toxic bug control?
Predators!
Honestly I use virtually nothing on my garden any more I just hunt out something to eat the something I don't want.
It really is worth learning to identify both larvae and adult as they can look completely different. Do not forget the higher species like bats and birds.
Even wasps have their place as a predator.
It is very difficult to be patient when you are watching your plants being decimated, I know, but you can always use your fingers to squish whilst waiting for the cavalry!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Cinnamon just deturs the ants, it doesn't harm them. Also, take a look at the beneficial insect thread in the permaculture forum it has a list of plants that you can put in your garden to attract beneficial insects.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”