Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Very early starts for a mild winter?

Our winter has started very mild with almost no frost yet (mid Dec); and it may continue that way (?). I'm pondering what it might be worthwhile starting now, to grow indoors or under cover to get an early start. Outdoors would need to be somewhat hardy and in or out would have to tolerate low light levels.

imafan26
Mod

El Nino for me means a warm dry winter. It is only now starting to cool off. I have delayed planting for about 2 months because it was too warm and dry and there were so many out of season bugs.

For you maybe kale, chard, lettuce, arugula, brassicas. They can all tolerate less light and some of them get better with a light frost.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I start onions in an unheated greenhouse about the first of February, Vanisle. The only allowance that I make is to keep the flats of starter mix from freezing. They take quite a few weeks to show up above the soil surface but then make good growth.

Some northern gardeners start onions indoors mid-Autumn, as I understand. They intend to shear the plants, perhaps several times, before they are set out in the garden.

I suppose that there is some chance that plants may grow only in a limited way and then bolt to seed with a little sunny and warm weather. This is likely only a risk with annuals.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”