marwen

HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS PESKY "QUACK GRASS"

I have a small garden plot of 1500 sq. ft... It is 100% bare of anything except massive amouts of QUACK GRASS. I had three of us -- all weekend long simply digging up the entire plot and pulled out over 75 lbs. of Q. Grass.

I know I can control it with ROUNDUP, but what I really want to do is to at least try to get rid of ALL of the stems, roots, etc. I want a nice black, loamy soil.

It's too cold to use any chemicals yet (up here) and I -- along with most everyone else -- get that garden planted by Memorial Day.

Suggestions please.

marwen

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Using chemicals like Round Up and other herbicides wreaks havoc on the soil ecosystem which will benefit any plants that you eventually plant.

Really the only sure fire way to get rid of any invasive weeds is to do exactly what you've been doing and that is to use a shovel. It does take a bit of work but, does work well in the end.

You will have to go over the area a few times.

What also works well is to rill the area but, don't do that year after year because tilling breaks down soil structure.

Grandad

Looks like the documents suggest not rototilling because it spreads the rhizomes. Roundup is effective but would obviously not be fitting with an organic gardening approach. For what it's worth I have NEVER had any negative/residual effects or otherwise harmful effects from using Roundup in the garden. I do follow the label.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for your comments, however, the negative effects of herbicides, etc are not always apparent to the naked eye. A lot of beneficial soil biota are microscopic and the accumulations of toxins in our systems has to be measured via testing and assays done by a lab.

I'm hoping to have time to go up the university early next week and research some articles on herbicides including the active ingredient: glyphosate that I can most the titles to here in the Roundup on Roundup. But, please do feel free to share your thoughts and experiences with all types of gardening.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”