Vryce12
Newly Registered

Growing Cucumber question

I just started growing a hybrid cucumber called “Babylon” it’s a F1 hybrid. I’ve grown a few other types before in the past. My question is has anyone grow this type before? I just planted it a month ago and it seems very bush type. It hasn’t spread over a foot in length. It’s very compact and is already trying to set fruit and blossom. I’m also wondering if my organic compost and organic fertilizer caused the grow issue? My NPK is different on starting my veggies and I think the phosphorus maybe a little high? Although I have tomatoes, peppers, melon, and a watermelon growing they seem fine. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks

PaulF
Greener Thumb

First I think we need to know where you are; second what is the growing medium (raised bed, in-ground, etc.); weather conditions, sunlight on the plants, how long have the cucumbers been in the ground, did you start from seeds or plants? If all other crops are OK I would say the Babylons are just taking their time to get larger. In our garden the cucumbers sat there for a week or two after they came up, then all of a sudden exploded with new growth. Maybe a little liquid plant food with give them a jolt. We did a foliar feed with the powdered plant food mixed with water. It helped.

imafan26
Mod

I looked up Babylon, it is a Persian type vining cucumber. I have not grown this variety, but I do grow Beit Alpha which is a similar Persian type. Cucumbers will set fruit even when the vines are short. If the vines are shorter than normal it is probably a fertilizer issue. Cucumber are heavy feeders of potassium, calcium and micronutrients. Stunting can be from not enough nitrogen, which especially hard to obtain using organic fertilizers because they do not necessarily supply the plant enough nitrogen when they need it without supplementation. Nitrogen increases phosphorus uptake. Phosphorus availability is best at pH 6.0-7.0. Potassium should also be sufficient. Without knowing the soil test results of your soil mix. It is hard to say how to fix it. Stunting can also occur with imbalances between nutrients. Usually, there are other signs of nutrient excess or deficiency.

The main problem with organic fertilizers is that the analysis varies from batch to batch. Composts tend to be more alkaline, but will behave more neutrally. Organic fertilizer availability is temperature dependent and dependent on the health of the soil web. Most organic nutrients are not available until it is converted by soil organisms to a form that is usable for the plants. So, timing of fertilization matters since the plants cannot get the nutrients on demand. Lastly, organic fertilizers not only have low numbers, it may be incomplete depending on what you are using. Supplementation is usually required.

https://www.cropnutrition.com/nutrient- ... t/nitrogen
https://www.cropnutrition.com/nutrient- ... phosphorus

applestar
Mod

Regardless of the situation, a food for thought — While Japanese cucumber varieties are generally different from Persian varieties, the basic cucumber care recommendation I’ve been following states that you should cull all fruits and suckers growing from the first 5 leaf nodes, and then only allow one fruit to form on main vine and each side shoots from 6th to 10th. This initial care and selective fruiting allows the vine to grow strong and produce more later.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I try to trim them all like that, apple, but some just don't cooperate! I have one this year that I've hardly had to trim, but another that this seems to trigger more suckers!

imafan26
Mod

I don't trim mine, but it is a good idea. Some varieties set cucumbers low on the vine and it is a breed trait. I prefer not to have cucumbers low on the vine, not usually because of vigor, but because low set fruit touch the ground and have more issues with slugs eating them and rotting because they sit on the ground.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”