buddhafish
Newly Registered

Cucumber diseases

Can someone please tell me what is killing my cucumbers? I have trolled through all sorts of websites and am not quite finding a match for what is going on here. To give some background, all of the cucumbers pictured have been started indoors, and started showing some of the leaf spotting early on, although it didn't seem to affect the growth and health of the plants. Once I started to train them out, the situation has accelerated quite dramatically, and the plants are wilting and dying. The leaves are never watered, only the soil. No sign of pests. I'm assuming it's a disease (or dieases) of some sort, but am at a loss as to what it might be. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
Attachments
Cucumber 4.jpeg
Cucumber leaf 3.jpeg
Cucumber leaf 2.jpeg
Cucumber leaf 1.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about this problem. A number of things can cause this in cucumbers - hopefully, what you have is not a virus, as there isn't much that can be done about those. And bacterial wilt doesn't cause the leaf spot - that is something that causes almost immediate wilt on the entire plant, and it's done with. County Fair has been the only variety resistant to that for many years; now a "Little Leaf" variety is also listed as resistant, but hopefully you'll never have to deal with that. A number of fungus diseases cause similar spots, and if it's one of those, you may be able to get rid of whatever it is. And if you figure out what it is, there are a number of cukes with resistance to various diseases, sort of like with tomatoes.

Since it is already going, you'll need to use something that will act quickly, such as some copper compound. You don't mention where you are located, but something that works well against fungal diseases, if you aren't somewhere that is getting very hot, is a combination of 4 tb horticultural oil, and 1-1½ tb baking soda, or potassium bicarbonate, plus a little spreader/sticker, to emulsify it. You can use this under 90°, and you can use half neem oil, in place of some of the oil, which would help against pests, that may be spreading whatever this is.

Once you get this under control, you can spray potassium bicarbonate on it once a week, as a prophylactic. I add some of that to a solution of Surround I spray on my cucurbits, to keep pests off, and hopefully prevent disease.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”