excelsius
Newly Registered

Tomatoes in a grow bag and a saucer: How often to fertilize?

I'll be growing my first grow bag tomatoes: 20 gal fabric bags. I saw recommendations to fertilize once every 2 weeks with Tomato Tone and bone meal because nutrients leave the containers quickly; however, I am going to use large, 2 ft saucers under the grow bags which will ensure that the fertilizers essentially never leave the saucer. Because it's a grow bag, any excess water in the saucer that has leached fertilizers from the pot should get reabsorbed back into the plant when it needs more water. This is why I was wondering what is the correct frequency to fertilize with this setup because I don't want to overdo it and accumulate fertilizers in the soil, potentially. For those who grow any vegetables with high yield in a fabric bag with a fully sealed tray underneath, could you share how often do you fertilize and with how much fertilizer (and the size of your pot)?

My starting mix: About 60% garden soil, 20% peat moss, 20% compost. Each bag will have just one indeterminate tomato, some basil, and couple of them will also have a single pepper in the same pot (scorpion or habanero). Any other watering tips welcome.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”