SLC

Does anyone know how to keep raccoons out of corn???

I planted two batches of 32 corn plants each. My first batch was just about ready and was planning on eating corn this week...when I went out yesterday to pick some, most of it was demolished by what I assume to be raccoons! The stalks were knocked over, corn shucked, eaten and the evidence left to make me feel even worse! I literally cried. I babied that corn so much and tried to protect it! They somehow left me with two nice big ripe ears and just a handful of plants that hadn't developed yet. I picked the two ears and ate it last night and went out to see the rest today and they even destroyed the undeveloped corn last night!

What can I do to stop them from eating my 2nd batch? The tassels are just starting to appear now.

Please, please, please help!

It's not my property so I can't put up a big fence.

(Someone somewhere else suggested cayenne pepper and/or aluminum foil on the ground. So last night I tried a ton of cayenne pepper (got a gallon jug) and aluminum foil and, as stated above, they came back last night.)

webmaster
Site Admin

It's possible to create a temporary deer fence around the corn.

The cost is relatively inexpensive.

The deer fencing material is kind of like chicken wire and it stands about 4 ft High and then you can buy these stakes that they attach to.

So you just insert the stakes around the area you want to encircle and then you just roll the fencing material and attach it with zip ties.

You can buy it online at deerfencing.com (made in USA) or get some at a big box store.

Is it possible that deer eat the corn?

applestar
Mod

(1) An old time farmer on this forum used to post that putting a radio in the corn patch tuned to all night talk/news helps.

(2) I haven’t been able to do this to the full protection level needed, but if you have the budget, you could put up a temporary electric fence with wires at few inches above ground level and another at climbing height of a physical fence

(3) Since they come around at night — My current deterrent that has I think been effective at chasing them off when they come around to cause mischief (but I don’t have corn this year) — solar LED motion activated security lights set to super bright for I think 30 seconds, set up in multiple strategic spots around the garden

I’ve found adult size and tiny paw prints in the paths and have had birdbaths dirtied with stuff that they presumably washed in it or knocked over, maybe a couple of tomato fruits knocked off … so far.

… I used to have motion activated security alarms around the garden, and that helped too, but at the time, tech was inadequate and sometimes alarms would not shut off, making me go out in the middle of the night. Now, you can get them with bluetooth.

Also, the alarms had red blinking LED lights that inspired me to try putting up pairs of red LED lights at predator head height.

I also tried night activated halloween blinking googly lights that may or may not have been effective. Raccoons stopped raiding the fig tree after I put one up among the branches. The batteries ran out pretty quickly and needed frequent changing, and they were ultimately not as weatherproof as touted and stopped working.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Electric fence. There are some good solar battery chargers. Only takes a couple of strands close to ground to deter raccoons.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”