Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Garbanazo beans in the kitchen

In a kitchen cupboard I found a very old jar of dried chickpeas - something not usually part of our diet. Soaked them overnight, drained & dried them over the next day, spread on trays, and found then pretty tasty. Now, next day, still on the trays, they are sprouting! I've divided them into freezer packages for future use, but kept a handful out in a shallow dish with water, to see if they can be eaten like bean sprouts once they grow a little.

Any comments?

applestar
Mod

I think bigger beans (and nuts) are better enjoyed as “sprouted” seeds/beans because it’s difficult to maintain good eating quality of the beans/cotyldons while you wait for the “sprouts” to grow.

Definitely has the added enzymes and nutrients that are produced during the transition phase of sprouting.

As soon as a bit of radicle/root shows, use in any recipe that uses garbanzo beans.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@applestar - Thanks. The ones I froze have only a tiny piece of root showing - 1/16 inch max. I was assuming they'll be OK for cooking.

applestar
Mod

Yep. I think that’s perfect. :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

You can also make your own, even more nutritious besan , a.k.a. chickpea flour, by sprouting them, then re-drying them and grinding them. The same can be done with whole grains, as well.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Why sprout chickpeas to make besan: why not grind un-germinated seed?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:24 am
Why sprout chickpeas to make besan: why not grind un-germinated seed?
This was just a thought of something else to do with the sprouts. Sprouting legumes or whole grains increases the nutrients in them - it doesn't take much, just a short sprout, not like a 2" long mung bean sprout, though that also increases the nutrients greatly. King Arthur Flour sells sprouted wheat flour, at a very high price, but I haven't seen sprouted chickpea or soybean flour out there, but it might be somewhere! Here's one short article about sprouting legumes, and some of the benefits, though I don't think about making flour from them.:
https://www.upgrademyfood.com/sprouting-legumes/

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”