Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Mush Melon vs Cantaloupe

I read interesting information about melons, when melons were first imported to USA seller thought mush melons will sell best because they taste best but Americans don't like the name mush so melons do not sell. Sellers started calling mush melons cantaloupe and they sold out. To this day mush melons are called cantaloupes and cantaloupes are also called cantaloups in USA.

I am no expert, what are we buying in our groceries stores, mush melon or cantaloups?

I want some real mush melon seeds? How do I find real mush melon seeds when sells are calling mush melon seeds cantaloupe seeds and calling cantaloupe seeds cantaloupe seeds?

Does anyone know if mush melon really do taste better than cantaloupe?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Very rarely do Muskmelons get called Mush Melons. Is that a regional term? No melon sold in grocery stores in the USA are Cantaloupes, they are all muskmelons. Very few people grow cantaloupe in their home gardens, they are mostly muskmelons.

Yes, I think muskmelons taste far better than true cantaloupes. Cantaloupes tend to less juicy and not nearly as sweet.

I agree that the name, either musk or mush did not appeal to buyers so a lookalike melon name became the marketing tool. And it seems to have worked. It is difficult to call muskmelons by their true name since cantaloupe is the common term.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Are mush melons a spell check of musk melon, or just a local variation of the pronunciation?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:14 pm
Very rarely do Muskmelons get called Mush Melons. Is that a regional term? No melon sold in grocery stores in the USA are Cantaloupes, they are all muskmelons. Very few people grow cantaloupe in their home gardens, they are mostly muskmelons.

Yes, I think muskmelons taste far better than true cantaloupes. Cantaloupes tend to less juicy and not nearly as sweet.

I agree that the name, either musk or mush did not appeal to buyers so a lookalike melon name became the marketing tool. And it seems to have worked. It is difficult to call muskmelons by their true name since cantaloupe is the common term.
It was several years ago that I read that about mushmelons it probably really was spelled muskmelon. My grandparents & family all called them mushmelons so I grew up calling them mushmelons too.

GOOD, I have seeds they are probably muskmelons. I just came from the garden store I found muskmelons in 4 plant trays $3 per tray. I have free seeds I will plant about 10 of them 12" apart. And 10 watermelons 10" apart.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”