Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yellow Beets & Golden Beets

Has anyone grown yellow beets or golden beets? What do they taste like?

Man on cooking show made a salad with yellow beets. No information about flavor.

I found only 1 YouTube video on Yellow beets and several videos on Golden beets. No information about flavor. No information when to plant, when to harvest. Videos basically say, here it is we grew it.

Shredded golden beets look exactly like shredded carrots.

I think beets should have been planted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwVbaVFxLI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5naAXK8HI

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I've grown only one type of yellow beets - Touchstone.

One thing that I don't care for with beets ~ and I really like beet greens ~ is the purple juice staining everything else on the plate (& my shirt too, if I'm not careful :? .) DW won't eat beets because of the juice color but I think that I'm winning her over because she has been eating amaranth greens and they are about the same color.

Anyway, I had hopes for the Touchstone and grew it along side my usual Red Ace. It was good but didn't match the Red Ace for flavor.

Keep in mind that I always plan to use up the beets as "greens" - hence the remarks above. I'm not a big fan of the roots, unless they are tiny and the entire plant is prepared in the kitchen. No pickling, here.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I don't like beets, because they taste like dirt, to me - the only root crop that has that flavor to me. I tried a yellow variety, and a striped yellow/white variety, thinking they might not have the flavor. It was milder in those, but still had the "dirt" flavor.

applestar
Mod

I’ve always enjoyed pickled beets at the salad bar, and my MIL’s beet soup (Polish borscht). Then I learned about roasting them and tried and liked… So I have been trying to grow them, but I am still struggling.

I think at least a part of the problem is due to the acidic clay soil. Another part I think is not fertilizing sufficiently, and not being more conscientious about hilling them.

Anyway, here is an article I saved in my gardening notes a couple of years ago —

17 of the Best Beet Varieties to Plant | Gardener's Path

Top 17 Beet Varieties to Plant This Season
August 21, 2020 by Clare Groom

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I hate grocery store beets but home grown beets are good, how can the flavor be so different. I have a hard time getting beet seeds to germinate and grow.

Shredded golden beets look identical to carrots it would be nice if they taste identical to carrots.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Sweet, maybe not as sweet as red, but I'm not sure how carrot-like beyond that, Gary. Fresh is always best even with root crops.

I grew white beets a couple of times, sugar beets for gardens. Nah, don't taste enuf like dirt ... kidding!

Something that I tried recently was transplanting chard. Yes, I know, other gardeners have been doing that. I've never transplanted beets but that is probably even more common. You might want to try that. Even if you aren't starting them indoors and it's an almost why-bother sort of thing to do that. In your very best soil, you can sow seed densely. After some of those come up - move them, on a good cloudy day. That may be a way to have a good stand.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”