ChiMom546
Newly Registered

Newbie with Mottled Mosaic Virus/Soil

:( Ok so in advance this is a long post so sorry, I am a talker and super sad.So my husband and I are pretty new to gardening. We tried several years ago in Colorado and everything I had died . I had tomato plants and everything I grew was eaten my a squirrel, I tried to feed it other food but it ate both., and then an epic hail storm with baseball sized hail killed the rest. Moving to last year we grew a few things in containers and learned about every type of insect we could from experience, yay. Well this year we finally own a home and no more Military moves for us. We did our first raised beds and we are still container gardening. We are in Ga/Al area pretty south. Well I had to pull and believe that all 7 of my zucchini have/had mottled mosaic virus of some type. After poor production or fruit dying even before they could be pollenated and then the leaves started turning and growing in that mottled light green and white speckled color, I cried. Plus I know we had aphids and quickly evicted them and of course will continue to. A week later my two basil plants near them started the same so I pulled them hoping not to spread. Since I used the same pruning shears I am afraid everything I have will die. I am hoping not because we have a lot of plants. We have contained the aphids as much as possible, we seem to have a ton in our yard, and other insects. Any advice would help or photos of early signs would be appreciated. My big question is about the soil. I’ve heard Tomato and tobacco MMV will ruin the soil for 2 years. And that CMV will not affect the soil. Any experience would help. We have a long grow season and would love to out a few more zucchini down, but will probably put them in containers. And how screwed am I for my other plants? Thanks in advance and sorry for my super long post.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”