greenstubbs

Are cucumbers altitude sensitive?

The title says it all and I can't find doodley squat in my searches! I have changed nothing in my procedure to grow them but they just slowly die out. It's been this way since I moved to 5000 feet. That's the only thing I can think of, what other plants are altitude sensitive?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I've grown lots of cucumbers at more than 5300 feet and had no trouble. Maybe some other factor?

imafan26
Mod

As long as you grow them in the right temperature range and in full sun they should be fine. Look up the planting times for your area from your local extension service or by using the planting calendar on garden almanac by inserting your nearest location. It might be a problem with your soil. Try planting them in pots. I can put 3-4 seeds in an 18 gallon pot with a cage. I typically use about 2 cups of 4-6-4 citrus food as a starter fertilizer. It is necessary to have starter fertilizer, but as long as you use numbers under 10 the amount will be the same. The citrus fertilizer I use has slow nitrogen and it is convenient for me because I have so many potted plants and many citrus trees so instead of having different fertilizers for each plant, I have chosen this one because most of my plants prefer slightly acidic soils and I like a fertilizer with micros. If you use a fertilizer with higher numbers, you will need to decrease the amount of fertilizer in the starter. I don't recommend organic fertilizers in pots unless you want to supplement them weekly with fast acting organic fertilizers like fish emulsion. Organic fertilizers work better in larger soil volumes and not soil less mixes.

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar
https://extension.unr.edu/publication.aspx?PubID=3168

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”