lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Garden on the Pier

Haven't posted in awhile but I still have the "Garden on the Pier" at Lake Martin. Tomatoes, squash, corn, beans and okra. The boaters come by and check it out every year.

Got some good tomatoes started for this year.

We have had some good growing weather this year

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I’ve never seen anything like this before. This is a great idea.

applestar
Mod

Looking great! Are you still having problems with squirrels and raccoons?

Are you still growing from saved seeds? You had some interesting varieties that I think you said had crossed?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:20 am
Looking great! Are you still having problems with squirrels and raccoons?

Are you still growing from saved seeds? You had some interesting varieties that I think you said had crossed?
Hello. You will notice the tin installed horizontally around the garden. This along with two strands of electric fence above has solved the raccoon and squirrel problem. Before that the squirrels enjoyed the tomatoes and the raccoons feasted on the corn.

I continue to save tomato, okra, and rattlesnake bean seed. Over the last few years all my Tomato Junkies have gravitated toward Cherokee Purple so that has been the only variety I plant. I grow plants from seed each year, and give away lot of plants (and tomatoes). In our area Bonnie Plants is pretty much the sole provider of veggie plants for the big box stores, feed stores and the like. With that their prices have jumped. A decent size tomato plant is now $3.98. I plant a lot of tomatoes, and give away small plants, so I would go broke if I did not grow them from seed.

This year along with Cherokee Purple I am growing a few Better Boy and a variety called Liz Birt. I had some Better Boy seed in the frig from a few years back and decided to give it a try and got some great plants. I learned about the Liz Birt on Facebook. It is a cross between Cherokee Purple and Brandywine, and has the potato looking leaves like Brandywine. I am interested in seeing how it does. In addition, I just planted some old Fantastic tomato seed in the last couple weeks and have some very tiny plants to put in soil toward the end of the month.

I have decided to grow numerous varieties next year, basically determining what of my shoebox full of seed is still viable. It is fun to grow stuff!

applestar
Mod

I’ve only ever used one of those battery operated small area electric fence — while it was working, it helped to exclude squirrels and groundhogs. (the problem with that one was the D-cell batteries and susceptibility to weed/grass growths reaching the wires, plus the clever squirrels learning to creep along the top of the PVC picket fence to defeat the wires. Chipmunks dug a tunnel under the fence.... :x

What set up/system do you use?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am
I’ve only ever used one of those battery operated small area electric fence — while it was working, it helped to exclude squirrels and groundhogs. (the problem with that one was the D-cell batteries and susceptibility to weed/grass growths reaching the wires, plus the clever squirrels learning to creep along the top of the PVC picket fence to defeat the wires. Chipmunks dug a tunnel under the fence.... :x

What set up/system do you use?
Mine came from Tractor Supply and is a direct to Electricity unit like used on farms. It gives out quite a shock (ask me how I know). I have power run to my Potting Shed so I just plug it in. But the good Solar charged units perform well too. You do have to keep the wire clear of limbs and weeds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”