gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Been a while

Since I've posted. I've got most of my vegetable garden in for the spring/summer season but we've been getting torrential rains every 4-5 days and it is really not a good thing for my garden. The ground is so saturated that it has no time to dry out to absorb the new rainfall and I'm getting concerned the plants will die of root rot if this doesn't abate soon.

I've direct sown okra twice, only to watch the torrential rains beat the rows so bad that the seeds are washed away. So, yesterday I took 15 of those 4 cell plastic starter containers you get from nurseries and filled them with potting soil and put my new attempt at starting okra in them. I really hate to transplant okra since I find it really doesn't like the shock of transplanting as much as some plants, but I have to do what I have to do.

Hopefully the rain will cease and my garden will dry out before plants start to die. If I lose my tomato plants, it will be too late to start new ones since summers in S.E. Louisiana don't see tomatoes go much past June.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Glad to have you back!

I know exactly how you feel. We in Texas always get too much rain this time of year to. I had to cover my rows of newly planted lima bean seed. More rain in the forecast.

I am going to wait until the fall to do okra. I'll have to now anyway, ran out of room. Stupid clay.

Anyway, stay safe Gumbo!

applestar
Mod

:clap: Yay Gumbo’s here!

I have missed hearing about your garden, and moreover, scrumptious descriptions of your meal prep for special occasions! :()

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Glad to see you back, and glad you're ok! Sorry to hear about your weather. Here's what I use to start my okra a little early, and no transplant shock - peat pellets. I use those for only a few things - okra, and squash, and just look for the roots showing on the sides of the pellets, between 2 and 3 weeks. And if you have any GA-3, that helps okra greatly - I soak in 500 ppm solution overnight, and many will sprout in a day.

imafan26
Mod

Glad to see you back. I have missed your updates. I saw that the storm was sweeping across the southern states this week. I guess these are the April showers that bring May flowers.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wow, thanks for the welcome back. It rained again, like Ark building rain and once again I could have held pirogue races between my rows.

I know for sure before I put in my fall garden I'm going to get a couple loads of topsoil delivered and turn that under when I till heading into the fall/winter season. No more of this fretting about too much water killing things.

I walked out in my garden 2 days ago to tie up my tomato plants to their stakes and I was past ankle deep in slush.

We're suppose to get a reprieve soon, and I'd need at least a 7 day warm, dry spell to be able to pull my okra rows-------AGAIN.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”