elinzme
Newly Registered

Curling bok choy leaves

I'm quite new to growing vegetables, but could anyone tell me why my bokchoy leaves are curling like this? They get about 3-4 hours of sunlight on my balcony daily.
Attachments
IMG_9814.jpg

imafan26
Mod

They are kind of lanky and really open. I think they need to be in more sun to form the rosette.

applestar
Mod

One trick to increase light exposure where actual direct sun is limited, is to use white surfaces and reflective surfaces to bounce every bit of available light back to the plants. You could even make use of old mirrors on walls Or use mirrored folding screens, roll shades, etc. Also larger white pots Around shorter ones, white outdoor furniture, etc.

I find Mylar emergency blankets to be inexpensive and useful ... but remember they only last one season before crumbling into little bits and becoming environmental pollution (I had to pick up every little bit one year.....)

imafan26
Mod

Balconies are hard since you usually have to deal with the roof overhang and only get sun from one side. Morning sun would be better than afternoon. Since your balcony wall is plexiglass or glass could you put tiered planters there It might be able to get more sun depending on the sun angle.

For partial shade locations, mint, green onions, culantro, ginger, cilantro if the climate is cool enough. Four hours would still be marginal, but possible. If you can get more artificial light out there with fluorescent bulbs and reflectors in the evening till 10 pm it would help extend the day.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”