Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TV News said, Cicadas this year.

TV is using both names, Cicada and Locust. I believe Locust are really flying grass hoppers.

Google search says, there is 13 year and 17 year cicadas & several broods.

Brood X is expected to re-emerge in TN 2021.

What will this do to our garden?
Attachments
activebroods.jpg
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they can be hard on year-old twigs on trees. they won’t do much to herbaceous growth like vegetable plants.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Google says,

Unlike locusts, cicadas don't eat vegetation but rather drink the sap from tree roots, twigs, and branches. Large swarms can overwhelm and damage young trees by feeding and laying eggs in them, but older trees usually escape without serious damage as cicadas don't stick around for long.

So they are no problem at all for the garden.

They might be a problem for 6 new fruit trees that I planted a few months ago.

applestar
Mod

Haha — in case anyone is interested in trying something new, I’ll copy this here :> :wink:
applestar wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 am
Hahaha! I had read somewhere that they do eat cicadas in Japan, particularly the larvae that come out of the ground before they emerge as adult.

Look what I found — there is a club and this is in Tokyo I think? All you have to do is register by email to join the fun :lol:

Apparently, the adult cicadas are either dusted in flour first or tossed straight into hot oil. According to this article, best way to eat the larvae is to marinate in Japanese noodle sauce (it’s a basic stock mixture of dried seafood/veg, soy sauce, maybe mirin (seasoned cooking wine) or sugar), then SMOKED.

Didn’t check how much is translated on Chrome, but lots of photos following a cartoon-style journal of the day’s events.

セミをみんなで食べちゃおう! セミをその場でキャッチ&イートする「東京セミ会」に潜入! - ぐるなび みんなのごはん
( Let’s all eat Cicadas! | Snuck into the “Tokyo Cicada Club” to catch and eat cicadas on site | GourNavi Everyone’s Meals ) <— my translation —>
https://r.gnavi.co.jp/g-interview/entry/1539

* I was reading through the comic journal and she mentioned she awoke to idea of learning to eat insects 5 years ago (as of 2014 writing) and as she became more adventurous, tried other bugs including calling a friend who was having STINKBUG invasion problems to ship her some — if You like CILANTRO, that’s what they tasted like … according to her. :twisted:

…therefore, STINKBUGS are not recommended for those of you who have “cilantro tastes like soap” reaction — a friendly reminder. ;)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 am
Haha — in case anyone is interested in trying something new, I’ll copy this here :> :wink:
applestar wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 am
Hahaha! I had read somewhere that they do eat cicadas in Japan, particularly the larvae that come out of the ground before they emerge as adult.

Look what I found — there is a club and this is in Tokyo I think? All you have to do is register by email to join the fun :lol:

Apparently, the adult cicadas are either dusted in flour first or tossed straight into hot oil. According to this article, best way to eat the larvae is to marinate in Japanese noodle sauce (it’s a basic stock mixture of dried seafood/veg, soy sauce, maybe mirin (seasoned cooking wine) or sugar), then SMOKED.

Didn’t check how much is translated on Chrome, but lots of photos following a cartoon-style journal of the day’s events.

セミをみんなで食べちゃおう! セミをその場でキャッチ&イートする「東京セミ会」に潜入! - ぐるなび みんなのごはん
( Let’s all eat Cicadas! | Snuck into the “Tokyo Cicada Club” to catch and eat cicadas on site | GourNavi Everyone’s Meals ) <— my translation —>
https://r.gnavi.co.jp/g-interview/entry/1539

* I was reading through the comic journal and she mentioned she awoke to idea of learning to eat insects 5 years ago (as of 2014 writing) and as she became more adventurous, tried other bugs including calling a friend who was having STINKBUG invasion problems to ship her some — if You like CILANTRO, that’s what they tasted like … according to her. :twisted:

…therefore, STINKBUGS are not recommended for those of you who have “cilantro tastes like soap” reaction — a friendly reminder. ;)
That is very interesting. When I watch oriental travel TV shows they talk about, there is an absence of all animal life, very few birds to be found anywhere. Birds are trapped they are free food. Bugs & worms are free food & good protein. No small animals including, dogs & cats. If a person grows up where it is common to eat, bugs, worms, all types of animals, they think nothing of it. One travel show showed workers stop for lunch, they had bags of live grubs & worms for lunch. If it is cooked, looks good, smells good and I have no clue what it is, I might eat it. I'm not eating a bag of live grubs. Cooked sparrows & black birds probably taste like chicken. I won't eat animal eye balls either. Maybe we are all spoiled and will never know how tasty, eye balls, live grubs, deep fried wasps & spiders are. I wonder what cooked, dogs & cooked cats taste like. LOL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”