Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Growing Strawberries from plants or seeds.

WHO is growing strawberries from plants or seeds?

Which variety do you plant and have best luck growing?

I found some YouTube videos that say, grow your own plants from grocery store seeds but then I found this video that says, do not grow grocery store seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzUkM3lk8i4

https://gardenerspath.com/plants/fruit/ ... ink-Hybrid

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I've learn my lesson on growing strawberry plants. No more for me.

Probably the reason they don't recommend growing seed from grocery bought produce is because the seed would either be not viable (because some produce wasn't vine ripened) or, seed would be infected with GMO's.

applestar
Mod

First assumption is still that the “grocery store” strawberries are a hybrid and will not grow true from seed. So growing from runner off-sets is the best way to guarantee genetic traits.

:arrow: Science and History of GMOs and Other Food Modification Processes | FDA

That said, there ARE commercially available seeds of strawberry varieties meant to be grown from seeds, including hybrid varieties. You see some specialty varieties that will bear fruits in 1st year, but generally conventional varieties won’t bear until 2nd year.

Also, there are viral and other diseases that can be passed onto the offsets. So in both methods, it’s vital to purchase seeds or plant material from qualified and reliable sources that certify and guarantee results and health.

OK — I have to add that strawberries like most berries will not ripen after being harvested. If you grow strawberries, you know you watch like a hawk day to day to pick at that luscious peak flavor and will likely learn by mistakes that (even if wild birds and other thieves will eat them) they don’t taste as good or even horrible when picked too early. If you have children they will tell you how terribly your toil in the sun had been wasted. :lol:

applestar
Mod

I’ve tried growing Alpine strawberries from seeds before — use the up-arrow link next to my name to go to the post/thread
applestar wrote:
Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:33 am
My Alpine strawberries sprouted! :-()

Now that they have shown themselves to be alive and well, I wanted to document the process until they are planted out. Crossing fingers nothing dire happens to them :bouncey:

-- this is my first time *intentionally* growing strawberries from seeds

... this is the first winter I didn’t overwinter some of the plants from those in the Garage V8 nursery to enjoy occasional harvest during the winter months. I haven’t been taking care of them very well since it turned out my family prefers the native wild strawberries and I was mostly the only one eating it. But they HAVE been surviving and growing from year to year outside as well.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am still reading the link about 35 varieties of strawberries. It is hard to decide which plants to grow. The berries that are tolerant of mites and powdery mildew & other things seem well suited for TN high humidity & blight. Everbearing plants that produce all summer sound good too. I think 10 everbearing plants might be better than a 30 ft row of plants that are not everbearing. It is very hard for me to dedicate anything to a permanent location in the garden it is always in the way when tilling and planting the next garden. None of the information mentions best flavor. ? I am about to change my mind about growing strawberries.

applestar
Mod

Make sure to also search for flavor reviews of the varieties. Some are meant for commercial production and will grow healthy, vigorous, productive, and perfectly lovely uniform sized and colored berries that taste like nothing.

...I haven’t done a strawberry flavor search In a long time - not since late ‘90’s ~ early 2000’s - so my picks might be outdated in terms of better performance, disease resistance, etc. The June bearer varieties (for NJ region climate) that come to mind are EarlyGlow, Annapolis, Jewel, Sparkle ...for day neutral, Seascape and Tristar. I’ve grown all of these at one time or another and enjoyed them, but don’t remember specifics.
:arrow: Subject: Fruit Harvest from season to season
We also grow the F. Virginiana — east coast native wild strawberries — and my DDs base other strawberry flavor reviews against this which is their top pick.

I just bought Strawberry Elan last year to try but have no reportable results yet. I’m also interested in trying Mara des Bois.

Jung Seeds used to be a reliable source for strawberries and strawberry information; they still carry most of these old favorites. I’ve not bought from them since they were bought out by a large consolidating company — you can tell by the company address on the catalog that are all same — they bought up a bunch of reputable mail order sources. Unfortunately the same return address appears on some of the one that had the worst rep as well. But don’t go by my old/ancient/outdated perception. My information is not current.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”