pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Garlic for 2021

It's that time! I know some have already planted, since they are much colder, and some even warmer than I am have planted theirs. I always wait until about a week into November, and this year is much warmer than usual - in the 70s for a while. I got my ground ready a couple of days ago, and today I started working on the garlic.

I got all of my garlic separated, and counted out, and it will be soaking overnight in a solution of kelp and potassium bicarbonate, then tomorrow, I'll rinse them briefly in 50% isopropyl alcohol, and plant.

I have 32 huge cloves of German Extra Hardy from a pound of seed garlic, and the same number of cloves almost as large, from just under a pound of Estonian Red, using my largest heads. Then 60 cloves of Metechi from a pound of seed garlic - still large cloves, just not huge like those other two. And I have 33 cloves of Montana Giant, from a little over a pound, from last season. Any extra area I have will get planted with shallots. And maybe some elsewhere, too.

So what are the other garlic lovers out there growing for next year?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I’ll be planting an undifferentiated selection of Music and ‘Redneck Riviera’, once I get enough yacon dug to use that space. we have a newborn in the house, so I feel behind on this and many other things, but the yacon froze out a week ago, so the timing’s actually perfect for that, and I’ve planted garlic later than this and still had decent yields...just need to find the time to do it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”