ElizabethA
Cool Member

Re: Whats your favorite vegetable?

My favorite vegetables change all the time! Currently they are Siberian Miners Lettuce and Chickweed!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Chickweed grows wild in my garden; so invasive! I used to feed it to my pet rabbit years ago, but I hate that stuff because it's hard to control. To me it's just a weed and I don't bother eating it.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

My new houseplant ....

SpudSprout.JPG

ElizabethA
Cool Member

Tomatonut95- chickweed is SO good on a sandwich!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

makes a good pesto, too!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 pm
My new houseplant ....

SpudSprout.JPG
That looks like a potato sprout, they make good house plants until they get too big.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 am

That looks like a potato sprout, they make good house plants until they get too big.
Haha, I don't think It would be attractive in the house. A rhubarb flower in a vase is pretty nice though.

I think this was a Pontiac Red that I grew last year. They were very small, maybe because planted late. Now I have a few of these wee sprouters in the bottom of the potato basket. Don't know how soon I could plant them - it's at least a month early. Right now the ground is waterlogged but we could still have real frost.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am
Gary350 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 am

Haha, I don't think It would be attractive in the house. A rhubarb flower in a vase is pretty nice though.

I think this was a Pontiac Red that I grew last year. They were very small, maybe because planted late. Now I have a few of these wee sprouters in the bottom of the potato basket. Don't know how soon I could plant them - it's at least a month early. Right now the ground is waterlogged but we could still have real frost.
Plant potato cuttings with 1 eye in Styrofoam cups inside the house 1 month before last frost then transplant them outside.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:28 am

Plant potato cuttings with 1 eye in Styrofoam cups inside the house 1 month before last frost then transplant them outside.
Potatoes planted a bit early will die back if there's frost, but regrow. However official last frost here is about mid May, and these are sprouting indoors mid January. They'll probably go in the compost pile and if they survive there, great!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethA wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm
Perhaps I've been wrong all these years about destroying a free edible green... Would you say it tastes like lettuce, or does it have a specific taste all its own?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:01 am
ElizabethA wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm
Perhaps I've been wrong all these years about destroying a free edible green... Would you say it tastes like lettuce, or does it have a specific taste all its own?
Chickweed in TN cold weather taste a bit like iceberg lettuce to me. In hot weather my TN chickweed gets bitter & tuff. When I lived in AZ if nothing else grew cactus & chickweed would grow. Mexican people picked chickweed in winter in large bowls ate it on tacos & other Mexican food. I sometimes pick chickweed in TN cold weather and eat it on sandwich's, tacos, Mexican, salads. I think AZ chickweed has a better flavor than TN chickweed.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElizabethA
Cool Member

Chickweed in the Pacific Northwest is very delicate, tender, and juicy. I would say it has a very mild taste like iceburg lettuce, but has a fresh sprout texture that makes it special. I used to rip it out of my garden and throw it in the trash! Then I read about it one day and realized it was an edible plant and so I tried it. I'm so glad I did! It's best when it's young and new!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”