Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Replant potatoes?

I dug up some russet potato plants today (Sep 9) which were planted very late - end of June - with predictably poor results. Although they had made some small spuds, two of them still had the original seed potatoes un-rotted and seeming intact. I wonder what would happen if I re-plant these. Might they over-winter and grow decent potatoes next year? I'm always curious to try things & see what happens. Any guesses?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:27 pm
I dug up some russet potato plants today (Sep 9) which were planted very late - end of June - with predictably poor results. Although they had made some small spuds, two of them still had the original seed potatoes un-rotted and seeming intact. I wonder what would happen if I re-plant these. Might they over-winter and grow decent potatoes next year? I'm always curious to try things & see what happens. Any guesses?
I have a fish aquarium that I put over winter potatoes. The sun warms them up every day and sometimes if it freezes cold enough to kill the tops they always grow new tops. As long as soil does not freeze deep enough to kill seed plants produces about 3 lbs of potatoes. Last year 3 out of 6 seeds potatoes in the aquarium grew new potatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”