Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cantaloupe vs Muskmelon

Muskmelon = Cucumis melo reticulatus very good flavor. In the United States we call these, CANTALOUPE

Cantaloupe = Cucumis melo cantalupenis very mild flavor. European countries call these, Cantaloupes.

This makes me wonder, seeds sold in USA that are marked cantaloupe are they really muskmelons?

How do we know what we are really growing ? ? ?

Are cantaloupes sold in USA grocery stores really muskmelons or cantaloupe ?

How to tell muskmelon from cantaloupe by looking ?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Muskmelons are a type of melon. Members of the Cucurbitaceae family, which includes watermelon, this species is known best for its palatable sweet taste. They typically have an orderly, netlike pattern with moderate ribbing, and can generally be found in supermarkets under the pseudonym "cantaloupe."

As it turns out, you probably haven't seen a true cantaloupe ever. Truthfully, you've been eating muskmelons masquerading as cantaloupes your entire life.

A real cantaloupe is a European Cantaloupe, which is not grown commercially in the United States. Its rind has a harder texture and lacks the ornate, distinct netting endemic to muskmelon.

Glenn Drowns of Sand Hill Preservation sells a whole bunch of muskmelon seeds but only one cantaloupe so far as I can see. I have heard that true European cantaloupe are harder to grow than muskmelon and cantaloupe flavor is more subtle while muskmelon is sweeter and juicier. All store-bought melons are muskmelons rather than cantaloupes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I see there is a lot of information about muskmelon & cantaloupe online.

The name cantaloupe was derived in the 18th century via French cantaloup from Italian Cantalupo, which was formerly a papal county seat near Rome, after the fruit was introduced there from Armenia.[3] It was first mentioned in English literature in 1739.[2] The cantaloupe most likely originated in a region from South Asia to Africa.[2] It was later introduced to Europe and, around 1890, became a commercial crop in the United States.[2]

When Muskmelon came to the USA they were sold by the name Muskmelon. Most people thought the word musk sounds gross the melons did not sell well. After the name was changed to cantaloupe the melons became a good seller.

Because the surface of a cantaloupe can contain harmful bacteria—in particular, Salmonella[9]—it is recommended that a melon be washed and scrubbed thoroughly before cutting and consumption. The fruit should be refrigerated after cutting it and consumed in less than three days to prevent risk of Salmonella or other bacterial pathogens.[10]

A moldy cantaloupe in a Peoria, Illinois, market in 1943 was found to contain the highest yielding strain of mold for penicillin production.

I assume anything we buy in USA with the name cantaloupe is really Muskmelon. When the above talks about cantaloupe they really mean Muskmelon.

My Seed & Plants Catalog has Muskmelon seeds for sale using the real name, Muskmelon & real picture of muskmelon.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”