Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

My Fertilizer experiment

The forum software defeated all my attempts to include the photos I wanted, only once each and in the right places. It also prevented me from formatting some parts properly. I wasted a lot of time on it and got thoroughly frustrated so I'm just posting it "as is"rather than delete it. It baffles my why the previous version of the forum was replaced with one so much less user friendly and apparently here to stay without improvement....

I planted the same type & number of seeds in three identical pots filled with the same garden soil. Two had the same amount of two different fertilizer mixes added; the third had none. 'COF1' pot is upper L., COF2 upper R.
FertXperiment.jpg
Here are the tabulated results: (well they're not here: They're at the bottom because the site no longer lets me insert files where I want them.) ....

Among other things the results suggest that peppers really like potassium. Also make me wonder if fertiliser can affect emergence or even germination of the seed. That's something I've never considered or seen suggested elsewhere.

I may run the experiment again for confirmation but increase the amount of COF2 so that the total nitrogen per pot is equal to that of COF1.

Ingredients in fertlizer mixes (cups):

COF1 COF2
Alfalfa meal6 6
Bone meal 2.5 6
Wood ash 6 6
kelp meal 3 6

And here's a painting that snuck in (in the wrong place) because I'd misnamed the file. I really like it; by John Atkins Grimshaw.
Attachments
PaintingSlverMoonlight.png
Screenshot-1.png

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You are correct, I have also noticed peppers like potassium. I read online potassium promotes blossoms. Feed plants potassium and you get lots of blossoms that become peppers. If potassium becomes low plants will drop the blossoms so you need to continue feeding the plants potassium.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”