avidbowhunter

wilting cauliflower

All... I noticed yesterday that in the late afternoon sun two of my cauliflower plants were REALLY wilted. I pulled back the leaves I use for mulch looking for signs of problems. I found nothing. I discovered that evening that they looked normal! I then watered them. Then today when I got home from work they were wilted again. I again watered them and they came around. The rest of my cauliflower plants look fine. They have been in the ground about a month and have grown nicely. I cant figure out what's going on with these two. Any ideas???

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What's your temperature? Cauliflower is a cool weather crop and can't tolerate high temperatures.

avidbowhunter

I know that. The rest of them look fine. I'm thinking club root. I dug the two bad one out today and the roots were just a little ball

applestar
Mod

The described symptoms do match those of club root. If so this is a serious problem. You need to act as though they have this “disease” and immediately take steps not to accidentally transfer/spread the causal parasite. This page has some additional identifying steps for diagnosis:
Plasmodiophora brassicae
https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/course/p ... phora.html

The first observable above ground symptom is day wilting. Otherwise healthy looking plants wilt on hot dry days, recovering once the sun sets or temperatures cool. As the disease progresses, leaves yellow and die.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”