Gary350
Super Green Thumb

White foam in blackberry patch ?

About 7 am I looked at the blackberry patch there is white foam in about 30 places. Some foam is up high as 3 ft, some down low 6 inches from soil, some in between in many places. Some foam is on the blackberry plants some is on weeds and tall grass. What makes white foam? Do animals with rabies really foam at the mouth? Wife said, in Michigan white foam means rattle snakes. I took a pic of white foam in 1 place. Now I am paranoid to get very close to berry patch and don't want to touch any white foam.
Attachments
100_6870 (1).JPG

applestar
Mod

That is a protective nest of spittlebug larva. I’m pretty sure.

Wear gloves and pull off the entire foam mass. You should find ONE pale green Or yellow soft bug inside — easily squished.

You can also use jets of water to blow them off strong plants like this.

Once you can be sure they are spittle bugs, you don’t need gloves as they are harmless to humans.

imafan26
Mod

Spittle bugs are hard to get rid of. Blasting them with water does help. It is more of a cosmetic problem than anything else. The foam protects them from most chemicals. They do suck on the plant juices, but if the plants are healthy they usually survive.

https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-gard ... pittlebugs

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You are right. I wiped foam away and there was a tiny green bug same color as the green plant. Bug is very well camouflaged being same color as the plant I had to look very close to notice the bump on the plant is actually a bug. Bug is soft as butter and easy to smash. I murdered 3 bugs, have me arrested. I will pull the 100 ft water hose out to the blackberry patch in a few minutes and blast all bugs off the plants. These wide Cumberland black raspberry plants are tough as an army tank I have seen nothing kill these plants in 42 years I have been growing them.

Online information says, blackberries and raspberries are in the same family the only difference is, stems pull off the raspberries, stems pull off the plants and remain stuck to the blackberries.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I've seen those bubble masses, those are spittle bug 'nests'. Blasting or mashing should help.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”