Firebird17
Newly Registered

Tomatoe leaves curling

Hi I planted tomatoes about 2 weeks ago and now noticed leaves and branches on the top of plant are curling. Just wondered if anyone knows what this is? Thank you
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

HI, Firebird and welcome. Whereabouts are you? It's always nice & often useful to see someone's location in their profile.

About your tomato leaves: I'm no expert; just guessing here but as yet no one else has responded so I'll have a go. There are flowers already. I'm guessing you bought plants rather than starting from seed. My next guess is they're suffering transplant shock - not gently acclimatized to their new conditions before planting out? Although knocked back, with luck they will recover. If they're getting hot sun maybe you could shade them for a while.

Maybe they're short of water - I'm not sure how to diagnose for certain but you probably couldn't damage their chances by watering - at ground level, not on the leaves. If water shortage is the problem they will likely perk up within a few hours of getting it.

Well those are my guesses. No doubt someone with more knowledge will answer you soon but meantime I don't think my suggestions will do any harm.

Firebird17
Newly Registered

Thank you for responding I live in pa and I did get them at a nursery and transplant them. I do water them so not sure if that is the issue I will keep an eye on them and hope they recover. Thank you

Nyan

I saw something like that on a tomato plant down the street a few days ago.

I'd second the transplant shock theory, as the rest of the guys plants (planted the same time) looked good but the end one was in somewhat less fertile soil (hard clay, low organic matter, smaller hole) on the south side of a brick wall in Alabama.

Just more stress I'd guess...

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Firebird, please do update us on those tomatoes and how they progress.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”