groundthumb
Newly Registered

Volunteer squash identity?

The squash in the pictures came into my garden earlier this year. I think it is an Acorn squash as it resembles the squash I planted last year. However, the fruit are
SAM_2358.JPG
huge.

Can you identify?
Attachments
SAM_2357.JPG
SAM_2360.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

We're the type of squash you grew last year a hybrid?

kayjay
Green Thumb

...hybrid, or did you grow multiple types that could have crossed with the acorn? Or did your neighbors?

...and also, do you compost? Would you have put store bought squash or pumpkin seeds into the compost?

Really interesting. :) I wish I had the space for mystery squash.

Have you tasted one yet? I would crack open a green one to see if it's more of a summer squash type, since the plant looks like a bushy zucchini type plant. Then try one aged like a winter squash. :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Acorn squash are Cucurbita pepo.

However, zucchini and Jack o'Lantern pumpkins are also C. pepo. Bees, primarily bumblebees, do a very good job of moving squash and pumpkin pollen around in my garden. Any volunteer cannot be trusted.

The neighbor once had a few weird volunteers and allowed the tractor guy to just run over them at the end of the season. Next, the tractor rototiller went through my garden. I had the strangest gourd type fruits growing in the ground where I also had put my squash and pumpkin transplants. That it was difficult to know which vine was which made for a problematic mess.

Isolating varieties so that seed can be saved from non-hybrids could be difficult. Those bumblebees get around!

Steve

groundthumb
Newly Registered

I grew acorn squash last year, don't use store bought squash seeds in compost - the scraps of sb squash are end pieces, we eat everything else. Don't think any nearby neighbors garden at all.

Last year the acorn squash started out as a smaller version of these in the pictures, but standard green acorn fruit appeared on the vines, later.

Since the fruit is yellow when should it be picked. Guess I could try one now as there are many.

How about cooking? Just like acorn squash?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Probably, all squash can be eaten as immature fruit.

You might want to think of them as zucchini in the kitchen when they are especially young. Later, those might be fine as an acorn replacement.

There are several hybrid acorn varieties.

Steve

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Even though I never save seed from squash, I always grow heirlooms only. I always grow the summer squashes/zucchini and pick them young to blanch, cook or grade.

groundthumb
Newly Registered

Cooked one of the huge squash today. Its must be of the acorn family as the pulp cooked and tasted just like the small green acorn that I'm accustomed to. The benefit is size versus work input.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”