Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Very colorful peppers like flower bushes

Does anyone grow very colorful peppers that can be used like small flower bushes? 40 years ago I grew a pepper bush with, orange, yellow, red, green, purple, peppers 1" long, each bush had about 500 multi color peppers on a 2 ft tall bush. I wish I knew what they were they would look nice around the patio & in the garden.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I thought I saw something like that in a Burgess catalogue....

imafan26
Mod

Chinese five color peppers, Buena mulata, and filius blue are available at Baker seeds.

I have also grown Czechoslovakian black. Thai hot, and Fish peppers.

Jigsaw peppers have colorful foliage.

Actually, I think my super chili is already a beautiful plant.
Attachments
super chile April 2020
super chile April 2020

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Chinese Five Color, that's it! I thought that was Burgess I saw that in...

@imafan what's a jigsaw pepper?

@Gary, I've got seed for Black Hungairian and Fish if you'd like a few. Black Hungarians look like black jalapenos and they give purple blossoms, that are quite pretty.

imafan26
Mod

Jigsaw peppers are available at Baker seeds. The leaves are colorful. I don't actually like the look. It makes it harder to find the peppers. It is mainly an ornamental pepper.
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetab ... saw-pepper

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the info. I am off to the garden store 10 min drive to see what they have. 4 pack is $2. I probably have enough point to get a free 4 pack.

Has anyone grown Lantana? This is an amazing beautiful plant I grew, orange, yellow, red, when I lived in AZ it is a desert plant, it loves hot weather & 15 hrs of sun every day. Vines grow in all directions it becomes a 15 ft diameter circle of flowers.

imafan26
Mod

I am looking at the picture of my super chile. The lower leaves are chlorotic. I need to give it some espsom salts, then it should look perfect.

Lantana is common here. I have grown it before but it requires annual pruning (like cutting it back to the ground). The center of the plant can get messy and twiggy. It is good material for short hedges and it blooms nearly year round. Down side is that it is considered an invasive weed. It does grow wild in some places. There have been newer seedless cultivars developed which do not spread. It is good for slopes and is drought tolerant. Unfortunately, equally useless to beneficial insects, since they have no pollen.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:46 pm
Jigsaw peppers are available at Baker seeds. The leaves are colorful. I don't actually like the look. It makes it harder to find the peppers. It is mainly an ornamental pepper.
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetab ... saw-pepper
Those are beautiful, I'll have to get some, but I obviously can't now, they're out of stock. Stupid greedy people for grabbing up seeds. :x I was really lucky to find what I got earlier this year.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I bought, Super Chili's, Tabasco, Habanero, peppers. Habanero tag shows multi 5 color peppers, back side of tag says 5 colors. Habanero look good on the tag picture, I will never eat Habanero. I bought Super Chili's pictures look good multi colors. I bought Tabasco because I like them they will be good in jars of vinegar. I planted peppers at the end of corn rows & end of bean rows. They will give garden nice color. I almost bought a Lantana but have no place to plant it. They not have Chinese 5 colors or Korean multi color. Farmers market opens this weekend oriental people might have multi color peppers.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

No, I will never eat Habanero either. Anybody that does must have a tongue of steel. However, I do have two Habernos, leftover from what I couldn't sell They're not producing yet, I'm surprised at how slow they're growing. I had planned to use them for drying to give my chilli powder a kick. Plus, I guess they'd make a good pest spray.

imafan26
Mod

Habanero's aren't that hot anymore. Bhut Jolokia and Reapers are over 1 million SHU. Habanero is only about 350,000 SHU. They do have a turpentine aftertaste. I do have a pineapple sauce someone made with habanero that is quite good. It is very mild with only a hint of heat.

Superchile, Hawaiian chile and tabasco have approximately the same amount of heat and flavor. Chilies are most comonly used here to make chili pepper water. This can be found on most tables at Hawaiian style restaurants and people make it at home. If you want it hotter, add more peppers with the seeds. Most people want some heat but even kids can eat this one. Hawaiian tap water is not like mainland water so if you are making this recipe, do use either a distilled or bottled water.

Hawaiian chili pepper water
8 oz. water
2 oz. white vinegar
1 tsp. Hawaiian rock salt, ‘alai salt, or kosher salt
1 clove garlic, smashed
1–3 fresh red chili peppers, preferably Hawaiian (hot)
https://www.mauimagazine.net/savoring-the-burn/

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

ONLY 350,000 SHU???? I can't even tolerate a TAM jalapeno when they turn hot. I wonder how many SHU's a Chiltepin pepper is, I had one years ago and it almost set my mouth on fire... 😜

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”