aaardvark

Is it too late to replant?

I planted a couple Eight Ball Zucchini plants about 6 inches apart. I added the second plant when I learned I needed male and female flowers to bloom at the same time for fertilization, so bought a second plant to increase those odds.

I read now that I should really have at least a foot apart. Is it too late to dig one up and move it? I just don't want to risk damaging it right as its about to produce flowers.

They are 6 inches apart but 5-6 feet of space to grow horizontally. Could I guide their growth? Or should I dig one up and move it a couple feet away?

applestar
Mod

I wouldn’t try to move it. You have sufficient space all around them so their roots won’t overly compete. Just guide the two plants as they grow — flop over and head out in opposite directions. Be careful they are prickly -wear gloves- but brittle and split or break if forced — just lift by the stem and and nudge over a little at a time.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I agree - you don't really have to move one of them. Think about winter squash - even larger plants are often planted fairly close together, in "hills", with no problems.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Right, squashes blooms are not perfect flowers which means both female and male blossoms need to be present for pollination. Squashes are monoecious though which means both female and male blossoms are born on the same plant. They will need to be crossed by either bees or if not, you'll have to do what I had to do and hand-pollinate.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”