Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What are these seeds?

Wife bought a bag of trail mix with 3 kinds of nuts, raisins, dry cranberries and these green seeds. Wife refuses to eat the green seeds she says they don't taste like anything. I ate some they don't have any flavor. Seed size 3/8" to 1/2" long. They are like chewing up a peanut a bit harder to chew. Does anyone recognized these seeds? I wonder if they will grow? Wonder what type plant it will make?
Attachments
100_6268.JPG
100_6269.JPG

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

My guess is they are pepitas - pumpkin seeds.

applestar
Mod

Yes, there are a few varieties of pumpkins with hulless seeds which are sold as pepitas. They are green and have no shells right out of the pumpkin. But don’t try to grow those if they have no flavor — they are supposed to taste good. Besides, it’s most likely that those in trail mixes have been toasted/heated to kill them and have better shelf life. (more likely to grow if the label describes them as “raw”)

Recently there have been upsurge in hulless varieties that are hybrids and likely not reliable for saving seeds and growing them. There are a few varieties that are open pollinated (some are described as “heirlooms”) and can be grown from year to year by saving some of the seeds for planting instead of eating them — one of them I remember has a German name... “something-dorf”. I have grown the two pretty well-known varieties — “Kakai Hulless” and I couldn’t resist the variety name of “Lady Godiva.” “Styrian” is a common descriptor for the hulless seeded pumpkins.

THESE ARE C. PEPO SPECIES AND SUSCEPTIBLE TO SQUASH VINE BORERS.

I came across one other named variety recently and considered buying it but haven’t yet — the description for these seeds reminded me that the flesh of the pumpkin was traditionally used for animal feed because it is very watery and bland. But I have prepared peeled Kakai Hulless with seeds, sliced up in 1/4 inch disks (rubbed with Japanese toasted sesame oil and lightly sprinkled with sea salt) and dehydrated and that was really good to eat. Very popular with the family.

Williams Naked Seeded Pumpkin - Heirloom, Open-Pollinated, non-Hybrid Victory Seeds®
https://www.victoryseeds.com/pumpkin_wi ... naked.html

...I’ve read it mentioned that store-bought hulless seeds tends to have no flavor and are better soaked in salt water and dried. This may also mean they are not likely to grow.

I haven’t had any issues growing the hulless seeds though my regular practice is to pre-germinate the seeds and sow the seeds when they show the root tip.
applestar wrote:
I'm growing Kakai hulless seed squash which is used for green pepitos -- it's oblong and striped, and the stripes turn yellow-orange when mature:

In the above collage I included a couple of squash I'm growing that have deeply lobed leaves that might look somewhat like watermelon's though watermelon leaves are more blue-green, smooth, and have rounded finger-like lobes. Note though, that Kakai DOES NOT have lobed leaves.

applestar
Mod

Searching for Kakai in the forum search box (top left of page) gets you multiple hits from when I was growing them, and looking them over two glaring issues — one mentioned above — SVB’s.

Other is being C.pepo, they easily get crossed with summer squash, ornamental gourds, acorn and Delicata squash, and regular pumpkins. So unless you can protect from cross pollination (hand pollinate then seal blossoms from pollinators), being able to save seeds may not be as critical. But this also means you really need to buy seeds from reliable sources. Older articles on the net mentioned a reputable seed company pulling a variety from their listing due to crossed seeds producing hulled seeds in the year’s crop.

imafan26
Mod

If SVB is a problem and you can't plant out of season, then butternut might be a better choice. It is a mochata species, not pepo and less preferred by SVB. It is also delicious.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

These seeds will all go in the bird feeder and squirrel feeder this morning. I think seeds are too large for small birds to eat. Not sure squirrels will eat them they have not been eating shelled corn. Wait an see what happens maybe I grind them smaller for birds.

dveg

Yes, pepitas. Pumpkin seeds with the seed coat removed. Of course, you won't be able to grow them if they've been roasted, but roasted pepitas look brown, and these are not. As to taste, that's why they're tasteless. Pepitas taste much better (a nutty flavor) after being roasted. You might just do that. Green pepitas can be grown as pumpkins but, without the seed coat, the seeds are more fragile, and can easily succumb to bacterial growth once they get wet.

They are just as susceptible to SVBs as most any squash. Even Moschata, which are considered to be SVB-resistant, are hardly SVB-proof.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I see pepitas at the health food store where I shop. They are considered to be an excellent health food and they are expensive. The store has a very nice walk-in cooler full of organic bulk nuts, seeds, rice, granola, etc. They have both raw pepitas and roasted pepitas to choose from. Some of their granolas contain raw pepitas in the recipes. I have tried the raw pepitas but prefer the roasted ones because they taste better. The raw ones are supposed to be healthier.
The store offerings include both raw and roasted sunflower seeds, peanuts, brazil nuts, cashews, etc but I tend to prefer roasted. The store caters to a 'raw food' community of health foodies who love raw nuts, chocolate, etc.
Sometimes I do buy raw unsalted cashews. They taste different than the roasted salted cashews that the mainstream brands offer. Raw cashews actually taste pretty good and are much better for you than roasted.
The store also offers raw or roasted tahini. Both taste good but I prefer raw in this case. I love raw tahini.

applestar
Mod

Ah but actually cashews are only nuts I avoid raw. Cashews are nuts of toxic plant that is either related to poison ivy or contain uruishiol-like substance in the sap. (Can’t remember which) But apparently are less or nearly not allergenic after being cooked. I am highly allergic to poison ivy but do not seem to be affected by roasted cashews.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am very sensitive and do notice an unpleasant after effect when it comes to cashews, so I don't buy them very often. I love how they taste, but I notice a toxic effect on me if I eat too many of them, raw or roasted. I thought that it had something to do with the fat content, but I never looked into it. I avoided cashews entirely for years until I discovered the fresher health food store version. The freshness seems to make a big difference, less toxicity. I notice toxic after effects with most nuts and seeds. I have gotten used to it. I love the taste of sunflower seeds, but notice that they have a toxic effect on me if they aren't super fresh.
I am able to tolerate raw or roasted almonds and raw or roasted macadamia nuts.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I was going to say those look like 'naked' pumpkin seeds to me to.

I had no idea cashews were toxic. Both my DM and I like raw cashews, although I'm not much of a nut eater and don't eat them as much as she.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:I was going to say those look like 'naked' pumpkin seeds to me to.

I had no idea cashews were toxic. Both my DM and I like raw cashews, although I'm not much of a nut eater and don't eat them as much as she.
Cashews are not toxic to most people, nuts are high on the list of foods many people are allergic too. Some people have food allergies, some have pollen allergies, others have pet allergies and mold & mildew allergies. I am extremely allergic to, hazel nuts & Brazil nuts & black walnuts, if I were to eat just 1 nut I would be in the hospital emergency room in about 15 minutes. Other nuts are not much of a problem for me unless I eat a whole can of cashews..

Birds & squirrels are not eating the pumpkin seeds.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

If the birds and squirrels smell your scent, or strange spices on the seeds that may discourage them. Mice, however, may get to them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”