TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Mowing down a cover crop next Spring?

For my bees and for my soil, I'm going to try planting my 60' x 70' plot with white mustard, crimson clover, and lacy phacelia, right after I harvest my pumpkins. If everything goes well, it'll flower in early Spring, so my bees can collect some nectar, and then I can mow it down and turn it into my soil, in preparation for planting my pumpkins and corn in May/June.

What's the best way to mow down cover crops if they're 3' - 5' tall? I don't think my rototiller would be a very good mower, and I don't currently own a mower. At 60' x 70' I'm not sure I can justify a ride-on mower or tractor.

Would a scythe be way too much work?

After I knock it down I'll broadfork it in sections and then till it in.

applestar
Mod

I think most people will say weed whacker. I’m sensitive to petroleum fumes so I tried corded electric, but it was pretty under powered, maybe a higher end model would have worked better but the line kept breaking and I got discouraged. Also cord was always in the way. Now, a few years later, they’ve made significant improvements in rechargeable battery performance, so that might be an option. Of course if you don’t mind the gas version, there’s that option, too. I wonder if the kinds with straps and bars for ergonomics might be better for large area use?

I do have an European scythe I use for my backyard grass and weeds which I cut down and use for veg garden mulch so I don’t want gas fumes on them anyway. You do need to stop and sharpen the scythe often, and I kind of enjoy the quiet swinging motion when using, and the ringing metallic sound when sharpening, but also imagine it might look/sound odd if not (downright) creepy LOL.

Sharp scythe is a joy to use, but is not effective for heavy/thick/hard weeds, so I am thinking about buying one of these for heavy-duty work when clean cut is not required:

—-

CRAFTSMAN Hand Weeder at Lowes.com
The CRAFTSMAN grass weed cutter offers a cost effective way to clear tall grass and other vegetation in overgrown areas. The double edged action cuts on both the forward and return strokes, when swinging the weed cutter. Designed to clear ditches, woodlands and fields, the CRAFTSMAN wood handle weed cutter is a must have for property owners, forestry experts and maintenance crews.
Serrated steel blade cuts tough weeds and grass
Use to clear overgrowth and fields
Can be used in rocky environments, cutting grass over rocks
Made in USA from global materials
54-in handle for added swing and ease of use
$18.98

* Serrated steel blade cuts tough weeds and grass
* Use to clear overgrowth and fields
* Can be used in rocky environments, cutting grass over rocks
* 54-in handle for added swing and ease of use

Truper Hand Tool Weeder at Lowes.com
tem # 863630 Model # WEC-14-LW 34780
Truper Hand Tool Weeder
$4.49
Double-edged serrated sharpened blade
Ideal for cutting down overgrown weeds
Steel head
30 inch handle for swinging back and forth like golf club

—-

Similar tools are also available from Ace Hardware and probably other sources, too. I haven’t refined my search/comparison yet.

applestar
Mod

Wait did you say you just need to knock them down? What about drag harrow — basically looks like a piece of chain link fence or a gate — usually pulled with something/vehicle, but maybe you could just drag it around yourself... put a block on it if you can manage the weight.

imafan26
Mod

I grow different cover crops. I grow mainly buckwheat, cowpeas, and rarely sun hemp. I don't have such a large space so I use a sickle, hedge shears or a weed whacker to chop them from the top down into smaller pieces. Running them over with a lawn mower after that helps or a pair of machetes. Buckwheat are easy enough to pull out by hand. It can be hard to pull out the sun hemp roots, so I don't grow it much unless there is a nematode problem.
I have a gas weed whacker that I rarely use. People don't realize that all gas engines need maintenance and it is too tiring to pull the string 9 times to get it started. It does have the most power and it can go almost anywhere. It is heavy so I use a strap.

I use a corded weed whacker around the yard. I have a black and decker and it can take an 0.080 string. The 0.065 string models are very light duty and not very powerful. It is lighter, but it has a curved shaft so it is not as easy to edge with as a straight handled model. The latest one I got was an EGO 56 volt weed whacker. It is heavy because of the battery but is well balanced and not awkward to hold, even though it is too long for me. I still use the strap to help hold the weight. It is easier to start and a lot quieter than gas so it is easier to use around the bee hives. The 56 volt model is as good as gas in power and the brush less gas less motor is less trouble to maintain. The Achilles heel is the battery. Most of the cost is in the battery. I can usually get what I need to get done in 30 minutes or less, so I don't need a backup battery. This is and the gas weed whacker are the only ones I can take off site where there is no electricity.

When I mow down the cover crops, I just work from the top down and take off about 4 inches at a time. With thicker things like corn or the sun hemp, the machete (or two) actually work better.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”