West

My tomato plant

DSC_5676.JPG
Any idea why my plant's branches are wilting and turning brown. Too much or not enough water?

applestar
Mod

What variety is this? I suspect it must be a determinate type. If so, this is normal.

West

OK thanks, I'm new to this. The label says "heartbreakers".

applestar
Mod

If heartbreakers (plural) then probably one of these but interestingly the descriptions do not indicate determinate or indeterminate. But assuming small pot size patio type, they are almost always determinate.
Prudac - Tomato
https://www.prudac.com/products/tomatoes

Small container (<17 cm/7") tomatoes:
* Heartbreakers™ F1 - Dora
* Heartbreakers™ F1 - Vita
Large container (>17 cm/7") tomatoes:
* Heartbreakers™ F1 - Vallery

West

Thanks

applestar
Mod

You are welcome. At this point, the plant won’t be contributing anything to sustain the fruits, so harvest them all and eat as they ripen fully.

The ones that haven’t colored yet look to me to be in “color break” stage when they turn from hard green to dull green or almost pastel green, just before blushing. These may be able to ripen if kept with the ripe and ripening fruits since they will be releasing ethylene gas (like ripe banana)

I rinse all harvested fruits in tepid water to remove dirt, pollen, fungal spores, air dry, then put on paper towel -lined cookie cooling rack or in baskets for good air circulation in the kitchen, away from direct sun. Most sweet tomatoes don’t have long shelf life so eat within a week or so.

West

Thanks again :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”