TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Re: Okra 2019

The reasons I chose Gold Coast was because it sounded so great. (got them from Baker Creek, by the way) They said the pods can reach 6" inches long while still being tender. The plants are compact, so I thought they'd fit in my raised bed. They are also drought tolerant, and resistant to root nematodes.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

@TomatoNut So, did your Gold Coast stay tender when they got to 6"?

I just removed all of the seeds from 2 dried out Little Lucy pods - ones that the blossoms opened on when none were opened on the Emerald plants, so there was no chance of crossing. I looked for the largest, most productive plant, with the most branching, and used that one. I got 101 seeds from the two pods.

applestar
Mod

Wow. That Little Lucy sure sounds like a winner :-()

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

101 seeds from 2 pods??!! :eek: Cool! I'm afraid my raised bed was too full of tomatoes and peppers to plant any okra this year. :cry: I plan on extending my garden to make room for more stuff next year. :wink: Believe me if I didn't have concrete clay, I'd have veggies EVERYWHERE, lol! :lol: Whatever I grow must fit in either a pot, or the raised bed; in which the rb usually gets too full of peppers and tomatoes to grow anything else. Except for the couple of times I have grown cukes. Dar was a very good one, as the vines were not as vigorous and they produced before my usual Straight Eight did. Maybe next year if I don't overload the garden again, I'll have room to grow okra! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”