dveg

podded radishes

Anyone here know anything about Madras podded radishes? I've got a stand of them - first time grower. Loads of pods. But I don't know how big they're supposed to be for harvest. Almost nothing very specific online about them. I've seen it said that 2-3 inches length is the expectation, but many sites just say "small pods" (which could mean anything). My pods are growing to a length of about an inch, but don't seem to want to get any larger. Is that right?

applestar
Mod

The radish pods should be harvested while still tender — the pods will get hard and inedible and seeds, too — moreover, actually, the stems to the pods get hard, so you want to harvest while the stems are edible. Otherwise, it’s too much of a pain to cut off the stems before eating, and once woody, they won’t soften from cooking either.

...if the pods get too mature, you could consider letting them mature (dry pods) and harvesting the seeds for growing radish sprouts (like alfalfa sprouts except spicy/hot) or see if they taste good as mustard seeds.

If you don’t want them, leave them standing or put them in the birdfeeder. Seed eaters like goldfinches love them.

dveg

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. Obviously I want them. That's why I planted them. But yes, letting the pods mature to dryness is a good strategy for harvesting seeds. Seeds aren't that easy to come by.

applestar
Mod

dveg wrote:Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.
The radish pods should be harvested while still tender — the size of harvestable/edible immature seed pods you will be eating from these depends on variety and growing conditions. They are usually selected for larger pods and slower to overmature tendencies.

dveg

Depends on variety? I think there is one variety of Madras podded radishes. Raphanus sativus (var sativus). Growing conditions? So if the growing conditions are fantastic and astounding, I should be getting foot long pods, but poor growing conditions give me 1mm pods? Do you actually have growing experience with these?

Looking back at the picture on the Quail Seeds page, where I got them, the pods appear to be about three times the size of the flower, which is the inch-or-so size that I'm seeing. So that's probably my best answer, which is a poor one.

https://www.quailseeds.com/store/p26/Ma ... adish.html#/

Certainly not clear by looking at them whether they are immature or mature, since no one is telling me explicitly what size I'm after.

applestar
Mod

No I haven’t grown this particular variety, but there are others and yes, I’ve grown the others. Pick and take a bite. Compare.

...sun vs. shade, water, fertilizer, temperature

BTW, thanks for the link — maybe I will try these next year. Let us know how they taste! :D

applestar
Mod

I was adding a pepper variety to next year’s Growlist and noticed this radish in the list :D

Did you like the pods? We’re they as “sweet”/non-spicy as described? How big did your biggest pods get before becoming too mature?

imafan26
Mod

I have grown those rattail radishes. They actually will grow wild after a while. The length of the pods I can't say but about 1-2 inches are about right. The pods should be picked while they are still tender. The pods should not dry out and become fibrous or have the seeds bulging yet. The root of the radish is like a fodder radish, it is hard and inedible. The young pods can be used in pickles, salads or stir fries. It has a bitter bite, but if they get more water they don't have as much of a bite.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”