Nyan

Re: How & When do YOU plant Corn & Beans?

Come to think of it I've gotten better germination since moving the corn to the front of the place away from the back area with much more wildlife pressure.
In the back we have lots of field mice, rabbits and possums (that shredded every ear off my corn patch one year!) and just last week I had to run off a Hoover Hog that a dog had chased into the garden.

The front has 4 very fast dogs living around it, including one that caught ten rabbits last year, and brought each one of them through the doggie door to give to Momma! (She was pretty screamy about that...)

BTW, if you have a local Mexican Mercado that sells the whole tortilla corn kernels, grab some and plant it after you pull your taters. I've had that stuff get 16 feet tall by fall, which makes people coming up the street rubber neck all the way past the the place. Not much corn off it, but a heck of a lot of green matter for the compost pile.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Corn seed test in flower pots that are inside the warm sunny fish aquarium shows 90% corn seed germination. My poor corn germination 2 weeks ago in the garden must have been from sudden weather change 90 degrees in the day then 70 the next day & 50 degrees at night with 2 weeks of cold rain every day. I am very surprised, beans, okra, cucumbers did better than corn. It is also possible squirrels dug corn seeds up we had 12 squirrels but now we have 10 cats & dog ate 2..
Attachments
100_3388.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”