Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Which Zucchini is best to grow?

Is there more than 1 type zucchini?

Which 1 grows best?

Do they taste the same?

So far I found, dark green zucchini and black beauty. I usually have to buy what is available at the store but this year I will order seeds to get something different.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are a bunch of zucchini types-- pale green, yellow, dark green, bicolors; long, short, round. One of the differences I would pay attention to is plant size--some are long spreading vines and some are compact bushes that don't take up a lot of space. There are big differences in days to maturity also, with a range from 45 days to 110. Also in our wet climate, powdery mildew is a big problem with zucchinis, so you can look for one with good resistance to it.

Here's an article with descriptions of some common zucchini types: https://www.grow-it-organically.com/zuc ... eties.html

Here's an article about powdery mildew resistance: https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/fruitveg/MidW ... ath_08.pdf It's pretty scholarly, but page 3 has a nice summary of the results.

But I can't tell you anything from personal experience. I have pretty well given up growing zucchini, because it is so susceptible to both squash vine borers and squash bugs. I don't understand the people who talk about having zucchini coming out their ears and trying to give it away. How is it possible? I have tried growing zucc's in Ohio and north GA and never succeeded in getting more than a few fruits from a plant before it gives up the ghost. Both of those are climates with hot, very humid summers. I don't know if it would be different in a different climate. I think people west of the Mississippi are less bothered by the SVB's.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:There are a bunch of zucchini types-- pale green, yellow, dark green, bicolors; long, short, round. One of the differences I would pay attention to is plant size--some are long spreading vines and some are compact bushes that don't take up a lot of space. There are big differences in days to maturity also, with a range from 45 days to 110. Also in our wet climate, powdery mildew is a big problem with zucchinis, so you can look for one with good resistance to it.

Here's an article with descriptions of some common zucchini types: https://www.grow-it-organically.com/zuc ... eties.html

Here's an article about powdery mildew resistance: https://ag.purdue.edu/hla/fruitveg/MidW ... ath_08.pdf It's pretty scholarly, but page 3 has a nice summary of the results.

But I can't tell you anything from personal experience. I have pretty well given up growing zucchini, because it is so susceptible to both squash vine borers and squash bugs. I don't understand the people who talk about having zucchini coming out their ears and trying to give it away. How is it possible? I have tried growing zucc's in Ohio and north GA and never succeeded in getting more than a few fruits from a plant before it gives up the ghost. Both of those are climates with hot, very humid summers. I don't know if it would be different in a different climate. I think people west of the Mississippi are less bothered by the SVB's.
Very good information, thanks. I like to plant 2 seeds then 1 seed every other week for about 4 to 5 weeks. I have learned a quick 50 day crop is best plants make a few fruit before bugs kill them. Some years bugs are worse than others. On a bad year I might get 1 or 2 zucchini per plant then replace the plant with another seed. If I can keep 4 plants growing I can get 1 or 2 squash every other week. On a good year I might get 8 squash per week that is too many. When I buy a $2 4 pack of generic plants with no information I have no clue what to expect a 110 day crop won't make squash for 3 months it will never live that long bugs kill it first. We always like to have a few zucchini 6 to 8 is enough for the whole summer. I will order 47 or 50 day crop seed online. Raven is 48 day and a bit mold resistant I will look for it on ebay. This year I will only plant 2 plants they take up too much space, I can keep replacing each plant with a seed until Sept. Link information said, zucchini has a bland flavor, looks like they are all pretty much the same except 1 with a nutty flavor. OK no Raven seeds on ebay so I bought Dark Green Zucchini 25 seeds for $1.28 cents, 50 day crop. I also bought yellow straight neck squash 25 seeds 99¢, after I ordered this I realize it says nothing about how many day crop this is, not good.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

applestar
Mod

A couple of years ago, I bought a packet of hybrid zucchini variety called Butta at Agway and really liked it. It had butter yellow thin/tender smooth skin — but it wasn’t a straight neck. Very susceptible to SVB’s but did it’s very best to load up early with fruits.

If I had more room, I would agree that succession starting, harvesting while possible, then and knowing when to cull the infested plants and destroying them would be a viable option.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”