Dawg

Row orientation on hilly ground

I know that its best to try to do rows north n south but what about if its on a slope? if the rows go up and down the slope wouldn't this cause water & feed to run off to quickly? most of my land is gentle sloped so I'm trying to determine if I need to sometimes go against the norm and do some rows east to west to prevent erosion or should I see if the slope is gentle enough and do them all in the regular N-S way ???

applestar
Mod

I realize from your other posts that you are working on a much larger scale than I’m used to, but I believe the convention is to make the rows horizontally across the slope for exactly the reason you mentioned. Sculpting the rows into terraces with or without structural support is often recommended.Structural material would depend on steepness of slope.

One way is to use hugelkultur berms.

This is on a much smaller scale but discusses similar concepts: Subject: Keyhole Garden on a Slope?

If you create a much larger terrace/level flat land, then you could conceivably run your rows in any direction you want.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

as long as your place isn't hilly to the point where driving your tractor (or whatever you have) on contour risks rolling, go with whatever orientation you want.

Dawg

Thanks ya'll I'll try leveling it out some by how I flip the new ground w/ the turning plow. Might take years to totally level 10 acres but eventually will get their.

imafan26
Mod

In countries that are dry and hilly, the terrain is managed to make the best use of the water when it does rain. That does mean contour beds on the hills and directing rain to a basin so it can be used later.

dobro13

My place is the same way but much smaller. I’ve been researching this for a few weeks and appreciate the advice above.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”