solsra
Newly Registered

Also New to Gardening

I grew up in Southern California and have just bought my first house in Victoria BC. (A mod from this board is in Victoria, so it came up first in my google search!)

I would love to grow potato, onions, tomato, lettuce and carrots but don't know where to start or how to best do so. I get very little direct light but lots (and lots and lots) of wind.

I would prefer not to dig up my grass, but the previous owner left many large pots that I would like to use. Its just me and my husband so I don't need tons of food and am using this more for the experience of getting my hands dirty.

Can anyone give me some hints as to what zone I am in or how to even get started? I don't know what type of seeds are the best for containers, or if I should just go with already started plants?

Any help would be great!

doccat5
Green Thumb

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening :)

This is the USDA site for zones, hopefully it will help you determine which one you're in. And do keep in mind it's just a guideline.

[url]https://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php?img=nwusa[/url]

You can grow most of the vegetables you are talking about in containers including the potatoes. Since you're just starting, you would probably have better results with already started plants.

Do make sure you wash and sterilize those containers with a 10 percent bleach solution, so you know their sanitary, before you start to plant veggies in them. You might also want to think about some flowers as well, the food is good for the body, but the flowers are good for the soul. You can google various sites for some tips on doing flowers in containers. Many of the annuals make beautiful arrangements in containers.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, most of us here, will be happy to try and help.

:)

solsra
Newly Registered

Weeee!

I got very ambitious today and went to a local nursery and asked some specific questions.

I came home with Green Lake Lettuce starter plants, which I immediately planted in a large (22 inch) planter with some compost and new sterilized potting mix. (I made sure not to buy potting soil.)

I also bought seed packets: green beans, container tomato's (specific on the baggy!), butter lettuce, and green onions.

I have four 14" circle pots, a 18" circle pot that is very deep (I'm thinking Tomatos in this one).

I also have an unidentified plant growing out of what I thought was an empty pot. I will post a picture in the morning. I wonder if its just a weed or something interesting that I should let grow. Its intriguing because it is dead in the middle of the planter so it looks like it was put there on purpose.

I am going to start seeds in little individual planters (like at the nursery), and when they sprout I will transplant them into my planters with fresh mix. I hope that all made sense.

If there is anything that anyone can add I would be so greatful!

Doccat5: I bought some very pretty white and purple flowers, but its late and the name escapes me... (tell me the name thing will get easier with time!) great suggestion! They made my car smell VERY good on the drive home.

solsra
Newly Registered

last night (and many nights) is still reaching 5 degrees (cold enough to see your breath) so I covered the pots with shopping bags. I was told this helped.

I was shocked to watch closely and see my backyard has several areas that get 7-9 hours of sun per day!

Of course, that is in the very very middle of my smallish yard, so maybe I will move my planters there in the morning and let them sit during the day then move them back to the covered patio at night?

I planted my flats today, but realized that I was a bit too ambitious. I only have 1 tomato pot but will have 6 seedlings. Perhaps I can share these to my friends and family (or buy more pots!).

:) I'm so excited to continue this path!

doccat5
Green Thumb

Oh my, oh my, you are well and truly hooked!! LOL One of the pro sides of using containers is you can move them around if you have issues with lack of sun. Do get yourself one of those roller thingies for under the tomatoes, once they start to grow and bear fruit that pot will get very heavy. Or you may just be able to leave it in the sun once the danger of frost is over. Just remember you are going to have to water more often with containers. They have a tendency to dry out faster. :)

Glad you got the flowers, there's something so "peaceful" about being out in the garden and quite literally stopping to smell the flowers, roses, etc. Or looking at your bed and here and there are patches of bright colored flowers. I inter plant with both marigolds and nasturtiums, as they are excellent bug repellants. And the nastie flowers are yummy in salads! You can eat young squash blossoms as well. Some additional benefits of not using chemicals on your soil or your food. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”