okie dodger

Help with Parsnips

Has anyone grown Parsnips with any success? I planted a 5' row last year and not one seed germinated. I did some research on parsnips before I planted, so I know they can be difficult. This winter I've been trying to sprout some seeds from a new pack I received in late December (pack said 2019 seeds). I have 2 "trials" going on, with 10 seeds in each. I am soaking the seeds in damp cloths, placed in a ziplock bag. (I sprout 90% of my seeds this way), and try to keep them around 70 degrees. First batch after 30 days saw 2 seeds sprouted, one at 23 days, and 1 at 30. 2nd batch is now 16 days in and nada! If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the help. I really enjoy parsnips (store bought), and I can only imagine what a home grown would taste like, especially after a frost or two. I thinking about buying some new seed, I don't know. Maybe I got bad seeds.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Okie, I suspect you got bad seed. My information is that parsnip seed has a short shelf life - maybe as short as 1 year. It's one of the seeds I'd rather get from a 'high-end' supplier than from - for instance - a supermarket rack. I haven't kept detailed records but in my experience it's also a slow germinator. Outdoor seeded it may not show up until I've already re-seeded :).

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have parsnips most every year. It was one of those, along with leeks that I didn't think would grow well here but have done okay. No one that I know grows either. Yes, parsnips are tasty :) .

Like carrot seed, they need to be near the soil surface and the seed takes an unusual amount of time to germinate. Lots can go wrong, foremost, they can dry out. Still, I usually get a good stand.

Having said all this, in the process of downsizing, my better ground for root crops is no longer available. We have plenty of ground but it's gravelly! DW says that maybe we should screen some of the surface soil for root crops. I can't image it! In another garden, parsnip roots sometimes seemed to "go to China" through their long growing season.

Steve

okie dodger

Thanks for your input, Greenthumb and Super Greenthumb. I do purchase my seeds from several reputable seed companies and have had great success. I imagine every once in a while a seed company can get bad seed from their supplier. I may call my seed company. In the meantime I have found a supplier through Amazon that will ship 200 seeds for $2.00, free shipping. I think that would be worth it and still have time to test germination, then plant in mid to late April. I have great soil in my raised beds, sandy loam 18''-24" deep sitting atop a layer of clay and sand rock. The parsnips may not make it to China (that was funny), but they should do well. I have great success with carrots.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Get fresh seed from a reputable dealer. Plant early in the season. Plant where it will grow, no transplanting. after planting walk on the row to tighten the soil then place a board over the row to shade it and keep it from drying out. After 3 days look under the board. When you see things coming up, you can remove the board. Have fun!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Okie, my Propagation Handbook says it takes 14-35 days for parsnip to germinate. That corresponds with my recollection - parsnip won't emerge till you've about given up on it.

applestar
Mod

Well, Obviously it’s time to throw out those packets of parsnips I found among the root veg collection. I might “sow” them with radishes and carrots in case any of them have a breath of life left in them. If not, they can add whatever nutrients to the garden.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have very good luck 100% germination with seeds from China be sure to order 1 month in advance. When I was growing my own seeds I had excellent luck planting seeds in used 6 pack trays that I saved, water the soil then put the tray inside a zip lock bag. Water can not evaporate and I never had to water plus humidity stayed the same all I had to do was keep them 72 degrees inside the house, watch & wait. Soon as plants appear remove 6 packs from zip lock bag set them outside every day if temperature is above 35 degrees then bring them inside before dark. I got frustrated trying to grow beets so I threw all my seeds hard as I could into the garden as far as I could throw them about January. 3 months later I discovered the best crop of beets I ever had, sweet as candy. LOL. I hate grocery store beets they taste nothing like home grown beets they don't even taste like the same plant.

okie dodger

Day 35 and 1 more seed germinated. WOW! I think I will try to sprout about 100 of my new seeds. I will start these in early March. Then I will plant some in the 6-packs, maybe 4 of them to give me 24 parsnips. I like that idea, but right now I don't have room in my window box. I will be setting my cole plants into a hoop tunnel, then I will be starting my tomatoes and peppers. WHEW! LOL! Aaaanyway, ( I stole this word from Applestar), thanks for the input, guys. I hate it when someone tells me I can't grow something here. So parsnips are my next challenge. Heck, I grow globe artichokes every year with great success. I was told "impossible" in Oklahoma. Thanks for the input. Together we shall persevere!!

okie dodger

Parsnips are in the ground! :-() First try was definetly bad seed. I started soaking my new seed March 23, started sprouting 6 days later. April 1st, 25 of 50 seeds had sprouted, so out to the garden I went. It may be a little early for parsnips, but I was so excited this second test run at sprouting these seeds was a success I had to plant them. I will start soaking more seeds Mid-April to plant 1st of May. Will wonders ever cease? :lol:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Glad to hear you're having success with the parsnips, okie.

As a side note: I mentioned getting seed from a 'reputable' source; the difference being that many of the most reliable suppliers date their packages, maybe even list the % germination to expect. With others there can be no way to tell how old the seed is (even the retailer could be 'recycling' packages.) Of course whether you get them off a rack is irrelevant. Many first-class companies, as well as others, use display racks - but their seed is usually more expensive.

It's useful to pay attention to which seeds have a short shelf life; only buy cheaper packs of the long-lasting ones.

okie dodger

Thanks, VanisleBC. I've always ordered seeds from the reputable seed companies, more from some and a few from others. This episode with parsnips has really been a trip. The first pack was 2019 seeds, ordered and delivered in this past December. After failing to sprout after 35+ days (20 seed germination test), ordered some more seeds (all-american parsnip) from what turned out to be a "not so reputable seed company. It took 5 weeks to get them, but they weren't parsnip seeds. They looked like lettuce seeds. And they came from the Philipines :evil: Back to the drawing board :? I called the company that I ordered the first batch of seeds from told them of my dilemma. No Problem! I had a replacement pack in 3 days. (can I say the company? Seed N Such). These germinated at 70%, pack said 65%.Who knows what happened with the first pack. Oh, I forgot to mention the variety- hollow crown parsnip. I am keeping all fingers crossed, hoping to raise some parsnips. :D

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Okie, thanks for the details of your parsnip seed saga; very interesting (did you plant any of the lettuce-like mail order seeds?) I've personally never informed a supplier when a seed pack was unsatisfactory, or given them the chance to rectify things. I suppose I'm not doing anyone any favors by just ignoring. Well done, you.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”