Kevin’s Garden
Newly Registered

Can carrots and clay soil co-exist?

Hi, wanting to grow carrots, but the soil is soooo clay! North-Central North Carolina. Thoughts, tips? Should I just give up now? :) What should I do to the soil or add if I hope to have success? Thanks!
Attachments
Clay!
Clay!

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Carrots do not do well for me in my garden soil. I put carrots in a container and they did very well using soilless mix. Root crops have not done well especially in clay soils. I have tried amending the soils to help the garden be more friendly to carrots to no avail. You might try containers.

applestar
Mod

I agree alternative methods until better soil is achieved. Even then, for a while, it’s best to choose short stubby varieties rather than the grocery type long slender/tender ones. But don’t get the round ones — they are EXTREMELY disappointing to harvest.

For your clay garden, consider building raised/mounded, sheet mulched, lasagna garden beds. More details later, but I think these are easiest ways to improve the existing clay garden soil. In the first year, don’t expect spectacular results, but plant and grow big plants and deep rooted crops that will help delve deep even into the clay soil, and infiltrate with their roots that will be left behind as organic matter — like sunflowers, corn, potatoes, pole beans, sweet potatoes, etc.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I have heard of radishes used as a cover crop to improve soil. Maybe this link could help. https://mosesorganic.org/farming/farmin ... g-systems/

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

42 years ago my first TN garden was clay it took me 3 year to get the soil prepared with, peat moss, tree leaves, sand, wood ash, gypsum, manure, mulch, etc. Soil was had as a cement driveway in hot dry summer and tilled fairly easy in spring when soil was moist but tilled up like small rocks. It took me 3 years to get the clay mud balls to break up using all the material I added then it become very good garden soil.

Plant carrots in, large pots, buckets, planters, boxes, beds, anything you have and at the same time work on making your clay soil better.

Attached is a photo of how I plant carrots in hills. After tilling soil hill it up about 8" tall by hand, make rows close together as you can, sprinkle carrot seeds on top the hills. Sprinkle a tiny amount of soil over the carrot seeds barely enough to keep wind from blowing seeds away. I sprinkled about 500 seeds in 3 rows in Oct, few days ago I checked there are carrots growing but I can not tell how they are doing yet need to wait until about May.

Plant 1/2 long carrots they do better than full length carrots. Hills show up better in this photo after it rained.
Attachments
100_1324.JPG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You might add some sand to your soil. Hill up a row then plant on the hill. You just gotta try something.

My soil is quite heavy in clay too, but the carrots do fine. You just gotta remember to never work it when it is too damp or you just get hard clods. Plant the half longs so they won't go so deep and you can pull them. Have fun!

Brettmm92

I live in the same area, outskirts of Gastonia specifically. I have had huge success amending the soil with woodchips and compost, making me a believer.
I buy compost and woodchips by the truckload and they are the price of a small bag of nice miracle grow potting mix. I have a truck but if I didn't I would recommend renting a truck from uhaul one day and going to town. I have read about the cons of tilling so I try not to but since our soil is so darn clayish, I till when I'm establishing a row with one of those hand tools called "golden claw." But I till only after I put on a good layer of compost, then cover it with another layer.
Everytime I pull out a plant, I fill the cavity with compost too. I use woodchips between the rows and will eventually use it between the plants in rows. I HIGHLY recommend this method.
It takes time but your one day of effort will last for years, and if you keep with it things just get better. Less watering, minimal weeding, a habitat for beneficial insects, and so much more

imafan26
Mod

If you have containers or raised beds, carrots can do fine. You do have to pick a good variety for your location. I can only grow carrots between October and March, otherwise, it is too hot for most varieties.

I have clay soil, but my raised bed has been heavily amended with potting soil and compost so it is deep and soft.
Root crops do better with a lot of organic matter and good drainage. They also need to have relatively low nitrogen. That is my probem. My garden is acidic with a lot of nitrogen. I do get better results with my other garden which has a lot of compost and a pH of 7.4.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”