SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My rogue Daikon Radish

December 25th, 2018

My Rogue Daikon Radish

imafan26
Mod

I have done that too. You need a deep soft earth to keep the roots from forking and it helps to have less nitrogen. I have grown some daikon that were over 2 feet deep and over 3 inches in diameter, most of those, I still end up breaking the bottom of the root.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Interesting!

I grow "White Icicle Radish" Is that what a Daikon is or is the Daikon something different?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Kitazawa Seed has a number of radish varieties. From French Breakfast to White Icicle to Everest Giant White Daikon, all are listed as Raphanus sativus.

For many years, I avoided radishes because I expected them to upset my stomach. Left me with limited experience but, after awhile, I came to realize that correct harvest time makes a difference in heat.

The shredded white vegetable in a sandwich from a Vietnamese-American store is daikon radish. Admittedly, years ago, I thought that it might be kohlrabi or the stem of some other Brassica ... :wink:

Steve

applestar
Mod

Daikon is like a MONSTER white icicle — Bigger than even the biggest horse carrots. Basically diameter of turnips with relative length of full-length carrots. Bigger daikon varieties might have diameter of rutabaga but relative length of shorter carrots.

Also, it takes a lot longer to grow so the root is denser than the little radishes... more like carrots.

Daikon is known to contain amino acids that helps digestion and matches well with fish — served raw shredded or grated, and in soups as well as meat and fish stews.

imafan26
Mod

The daikon I grow is Minowase Long. White Icicle is shorter, harder, and has a stronger bite. If you leave it in the ground too long daikon will split, crack, and get woody.

Someone gave me seeds of a different radish once. I don't know what it was, but the root was small, very hard, and bitter. The part of that radish that you eat are the young seed pods.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What is a good Red color radish to plant?

My mother loved radishes she planted them every year in very cold weather and harvested them in cold weather. Hot weather made radishes have spicy hot flavor.

I have never had an interest in radishes but would like to plant some Red & White radishes this year.

Online information says. Radishes can be useful companion plants for many other crops, their pungent odour deters such insect pests as aphids, cucumber beetles, tomato hornworms, squash bugs, and ants.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

This is not really a recommendation since I’ve never grown it ...and this is white — but I’ve always WANTED to try growing the Sakurajima radish. Baker Creek has a good writeup and photos about it, but seeds are expensive $3-$4 per packet.

:arrow: https://www.rareseeds.com/sakurajima-radish/
The Sakurajima Radish is known as the “Largest Radish in the World.” It has produced radishes at a standard weight of 13 pounds and is capable of reaching 100 pounds!
I’ve had the dinner plate-sized thinly sliced sweet vinegar pickles though. Fancy ones are packaged in what looks like shallow mini barrels that used to be made of wood, but I think might be plastic containers now. More common ones are only saucer/bread plate size.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”