varuiz
Newly Registered

Broccoli plant care

Hello,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to vegetable gardening. I currently have 8 broccoli plants in my raised bed. I planted these in June. I followed the advice of planting multiple seeds to ensure germination understanding that one would dominate the other anyway. However, the second, less dominate plants have been present for a long time and I feel that they are sharing nutrients that could only be going to the dominant plant. My question is should I pull up or cut the less dominate plant on all of them? Is this safe to do? I feel like the head should have been growing by now and it's not.

Thank you!
Attachments
BroccoliPlant.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Something isn't happening right. I would definitely pull the little ones.

But broccoli should be about four months from seed to harvest, so yes you should for sure have had heads before this. And your broccoli plants are looking spindly and not very leafy. They look like they are not getting enough light or enough nutrients. Have you been fertilizing?

broccoli plant before it starts making a head:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think they have not been getting enough sunlight. Garden plants need full sunlight all day long for best results.

varuiz
Newly Registered

Hello to those who have responded and thank you!

We have concluded that the seeds we actually planted were Chinese broccoli. False advertising on the package we bought.

Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”