applestar
Mod

Re: Loss of Interest

It’s fantastic that they remember you despite the hiatus. :clap:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Well this post got a lot of hits, and the participants covered a lot of subjects besides gardening. :D

Here this morning, Calm, 32 degrees and an inch of fresh snow on the ground. I won't be planting today! The only thing growing is ice. :x ..... so take my handful of pills and come sit at the computer........ :-()

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I love the Downy Woodpecker photos. We have been feeding woodpeckers for many, many years, but as soon as I come outside they fly to a nearby lilac bush and wait for me to refill the suet cake feeder. Never too far away but careful not to get too close.

We have Downys, Hairys, Red Bellied, Red Headeds, Flickers and the occasional Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. Pilated Woodpeckers have been seen fifteen miles south of us, but I can't seem to entice them to my yard. I love to see them all lined up to snack on the suet cakes.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Well this post got a lot of hits, and the participants covered a lot of subjects besides gardening. :D

Here this morning, Calm, 32 degrees and an inch of fresh snow on the ground. I won't be planting today! The only thing growing is ice. :x ..... so take my handful of pills and come sit at the computer........ :-()
My 100 year old father joined us for Thanksgiving :) .

He has a nurse come in and help him line up his pills :wink: . She drives him to the store and such and is willing to do some housekeeping. He hasn't allowed it and, she says that, he does some cleaning every time just before she arrives.

We have snow this morning. I expect Dad to use his door out of the garage going out to feed his 4 laying hens. Keeps him on the level ...

Steve :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Enjoy your father while you can. My parents are gone. Guess that makes me the old timer?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Clear, calm, 24 degrees today. Good Sunday Morning!

imafan26
Mod

I guess you are staying warm and toasty inside. It is 64 degrees here and it is still dark. I need to wait another half hour to go water the yard so I can see what I am doing.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Blizzard conditions here today...7 inches of snow, windy and blowing, mid-twenties for the high.
Attachments
IMG_7366.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

PaulF that looks a lot like winter!

MariaDigsGardening

jal_ut wrote:It seems that there is no interest in this forum now that winter is upon us. I guess folks are off trick or treating and getting ready for Christmas?
We've had snow on the ground since the beginning of November in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, which has definitely slowed my gardening. I've been switching over to some inside projects lately, but am still making progress.
  • Next summer I'll be moving my veggie garden to a new location a few miles away at our summer cottage. It will be much bigger (60x100 feet) and I've been thinking about layout and site prep.
  • But I refuse to give up my old veg garden (30x40 feet). So I've planted that with garlic this fall and will plant the rest to bush beans next summer to minimize a work I need to do. I didn't get all my garlic planted in October when I had wanted to, so I had to rake off a few inches of snow to plant the rest.
  • I need to start researching how to build an electric fence for my new garden area. And buy a generator for the water pump (Chrismas present?)
  • I created an online class for gardening in cold climates and am working to update a few of the lectures. (https://www.udemy.com/gardening-in-cold-climates)
  • Last year I helped organize a Native Plant Symposium in our local community, and it looks like we'll be planning to do another one this coming March.
  • I need to watch a few more webinars for my Master Gardener continuing education.
Garlic planting in November. More details at https://lifeplusnature.com/2018/11/27/desperate-gardening-in-the-snow/
Garlic planting in November. More details at https://lifeplusnature.com/2018/11/27/desperate-gardening-in-the-snow/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Seems I have been hornswoggled. Took 15 minutes of jumping through hoops just to log in today...........

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

digitS' nice picture. As I look out here everything is white, snow covered, guess that is what we have to look at until March. Calm, overcast, 21 degrees,

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Maria: I put in a little garlic too this year in Oct. in the U. P. before I went back to AZ. Hopefully it will be up when I get back! Am moving my garden too next year over the knoll to get a little more sun. I think my corn and squash had a hard time maturing with less sun.

Pow Wow: I always found it astounding that you could feed the chickadees by hand. But this year in the U.P. I remembered your previous posts and the chickadees are definitely the least afraid. I would replace a seed cake by reaching out the window, and they'd be on it before I even let go! We have downy and hairy woodpeckers too, but they haven't come to my hand! Also the northern flickers. Our flickers here in AZ are larger than the Yoopers tho!

Jal: Looks like your "Loss of Interest" post has generated a tremendous amount of interest! 4 pages! :D

imafan26
Mod

When you attract birds like that, don't they go after your seed as well? I have wild birds nesting in my trees and the neighbor's trees. They even break into the attic vents and have nested in my walls. They eat papaya, lychee, guava, fig, and chilli peppers. Well, they will probably eat any soft ripe fruit. So, far the only thing they don't go after are the bilimbi and the citrus fruit.
They will eat corn, pepper, and sunflower seeds that have been planted in the ground and in pots unless they are covered. The only bird that does not do that is the cattle egret. The egret eats insects, lizards and mice.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Image9:55 AM, clear blue skies, 26 degrees. The ground is snow covered. Nothing growing but ice. There is a bunch of Eu. Doves coming to the bird feeder. Nothing to do out in the garden, so I sit here on my fat butt and play on the computer. Have a great day!

The picture is from the past. It was taken at Antelope Island.

applestar
Mod

The state park?
:arrow: Antelope Island State Park | Utah State Parks
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/antelope-island/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Jal: Looks like your "Loss of Interest" post has generated a tremendous amount of interest! 4 pages! :D"

Yep, and a variety of subjects.

Here today its calm, sunny, 26 degrees. I took the wild birds some seed, then sit here behind glass enjoying the sunshine on my back.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Dec 11, calm, overcast, 26 degrees. The ground is snow covered. I took the wild birds some seed to the bird feeder. Now I sit here in front of the computer screen, wondering, What can I do now to stay out of mischief?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I sure enjoy the online dictionary, when ever there is question about a word or meaning.

https://www.dictionary.com/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"The state park?
:arrow: Antelope Island State Park | Utah State Parks"

Yes, the state park. If you are ever in the area and have some time you will want to see this.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here this morning, 19 degrees F, calm, sunny, Ground is snow covered. I took the wild birds some seed. Coming to the feeder: Magpie, Eu. Dove, Junco, E Sparrow, Finch. Nothing growing outside except ice. Won't be planting nor growing until March, so I sit here and play on the computer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sunset, clear blue skies, 21 degrees, calm.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

2018-12-07 07.46.23 (Large).jpg
Just Hanging out

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Lookin good.

11 degrees here this morning. Calm and clear blue skies. Going to be a beautiful day, but cold.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

imafan26 wrote:When you attract birds like that, don't they go after your seed as well? I have wild birds nesting in my trees and the neighbor's trees. They even break into the attic vents and have nested in my walls. They eat papaya, lychee, guava, fig, and chilli peppers. Well, they will probably eat any soft ripe fruit. So, far the only thing they don't go after are the bilimbi and the citrus fruit.
They will eat corn, pepper, and sunflower seeds that have been planted in the ground and in pots unless they are covered. The only bird that does not do that is the cattle egret. The egret eats insects, lizards and mice.
Actually, in AZ the birds will eat anything in the garden; seeds, young plants, tomatoes etc. That's why I have to not only fence up the sides, but overhead as well! Must be because things to eat just aren't plentiful out here in this arid climate.

In the U.P. not too much. My theory is that natural food is so abundant that they just don't care about planted seeds or young greens. I didn't know what was going to happen there, but found it's not much of a problem. I did put up a few strands of electric fence, but that was mostly for the deer and maybe for the bears when they come through. But why you have that trouble in Hawaii I don't know. Would think food would be plentiful there too.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Clear, calm, 30 degrees with 4 inches of snow on the ground. I took some seed out to the bird feeder.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No birds here today. I put some seed on the bird feeder, but not a single bird. Where are the birds?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I saw a good-size flock (20+) of Robins, today. They were in and out of a Mountain Ash tree that was loaded with berries.

Another mile, or so, I came on 2 more. That would be about what I could expect to see at this time of year. Two, maybe with me looking around on a 10 mile drive in residential areas.

I was out for about a 150 miles recently and came across flocks of Starlings. They disappeared from near my home entirely last winter and I was surprised to see so many just 30 miles or so south. It's not likely to be warmer and might even be a few hundred feet higher in elevation. And, there are few trees. I think that the 360 degree views may help them with hawks. Still, there was plenty of hawks in those areas.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A couple of Juncos and a couple of Starlings coming to the bird feeder this morning.

Clear blue skies, 19 degrees, calm here this morning. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

35 degrees, calm, overcast. Seems rather warm for this late in the season.

Hello Winter!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

High of 67°F here today.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

We had a windstorm yesterday. Power outages, tornado winds across the bridge. My house blew away. Not sure where I'm at right now. I see a yellow brick road ahead.
Actually, the wind was pretty forceful but I think I have no significant damage.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hang on and spur!

42 degrees, calm and overcast here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

December 22, 11:00 AM, sunny, calm, 24 degrees. A couple inches fresh snow on the ground. It is so bright out it hurts your eyes to look out. Get on the dark glasses. I took the wild birds some seed and come in and play on the computer......... Have a great day!

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Fifty and sunny here. Spent yesterday afternoon and this morning going grocery shopping to get ready for the kids and grandkids' visit beginning Dec 26 through Dec 31 or Jan 1 or 2 depending on the weather.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

walked the couple miles to the neighbors by the light of the full moon last night to see their family for holiday times. it snowed a bit the night before but that was all gone by the time we were going - would have been very bright with snow on the ground! as it was, it was still quite a nice walk. done that one before with less moon and some spots get a little dangerous.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good hike. Nice going!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

24 December, Good morning! 29 degrees here with a couple inches of new snow.

Merry Christmas!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Here it is 43 degrees and raining. Looks like no snow for Christmas this year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Christmas morning: 31 degrees, calm, overcast. We got up and put a turkey in the oven to bake. Go give the wild birds some seed and sit here on my fat butt and play on the computer. Merry Christmas!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”