xolesliexo
Newly Registered

Growing Butternut Squash on a Trellis

Hi! I read that some of you have had success growing butternut squash on trellises, could you tell me some tips to your success? What kind of trellis you have used? Do you have to support the weight of the squash when they get so big and how do you do that? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks so much!!!
Leslie

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Anything will do, I just use steel but, wood is more aestheticially pleasing.

You can grow your actual plants in the soil and train them up the trellis or you can install a planter atop the trellis and grow the squash down. I prefer the former method because you get the added benefit of all the beneficial soil organisms.

What have others done?

xolesliexo
Newly Registered

don't mind my newbieness... but when you say train... how exactly do you do that?

and do you think I will need to support the weight of the butternut once they come out with something? or will they support themselves?

Just trying to save space in a small area :)

Thanks again!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

:D :D :D

Not a problem!

I just mean push the vines along the through the trellis as the plant grows. If you grow from the ground up you'll have to keep up at it though, squashes tend to grow in spurts and all of the sudden you will have great long vines if you don't watch you plants.

doccat5
Green Thumb

And you need to make a sling for the squash as it develops. Old clean knee highs or pantyhose work wonderfully for that purpose. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”