jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Fall

28 degrees, calm and overcast this Sunday Morning.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

So went out and got on the JD tractor and tilled up the garden plot. Let 'er snow!

Imagetrc659 by James_40 Lofthouse, on Flickr

Try again.

Don't know why the photo won't load? This board is so frustrating............. :evil:
Last edited by jal_ut on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

James, the link you are pasting in is the Flickr website page for the photo and NOT the actual jpg file name. That’s why the image codes can’t display the photo.

I can use the link you used to go to the Flickr page, then run down the file name for the photo you want to share. When the file name ending in .jpg is pasted between the image codes, it will display — like this:

— GREAT photo, as always! Image

...Love seeing your photos, so please don’t stop sharing them with us — and If you need assistance, I’ll be glad to help. You can PM me or just keep doing what you are doing, and, with your permission, I’ll go ahead and hunt down the file names and replace them as soon as I can.

I do have to use a different browser than Safari to do this (and it’s nearly impossible to do on the smaller iPhone screen) — I guess different browsers have different features.

- Applestar

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

TKS applestar

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Imagefield540 by James_40 Lofthouse, on Flickr

This is my place out in Avon where I grow wheat grass, deer and ground squirrels. 90 acres and much of it is a mountain.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the pictures. Your fall colors are so bright. Only a few non-native trees will turn colors with the season. Fall for me means the plumeria will drop all of its leaves, and the mountains and hillsides will start "greening" up again once the rains start to come in regularly. It does not take long for haole koa to recover. There are fewer trees in bloom now and most of the seasonal fruits are done. I always have a green Christmas here and maybe and extra blanket on the bed. The temperatures are around 80 in the daytime and 67 at night. It rains a little almost every week, but it can still be muggy if the sun comes out and steams it off later. I have komatsuna, swiss chard, broccoli, and the long beans have resurrected themselves and grown new leaves. The plumeria are starting to shed leaves and I have topped the bilimbi and Indian curry tree. Weeds rebounded after the rain and I have hit them with roundup. Some of them are drying, but the nutsedge needs another shot. I have to mow again. I have a couple of orchids in bloom. The stores have already put the Christmas decorations out. It is harder to get garden items now because they have been put away for Christmas or are not being ordered. There are some good end of season deals right now on summer tables and pop up tents. The containers with the trees will be arriving soon since they have to be quarantined before they can go on sale around Thanksgiving.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Now that is an onion.

imafan26
Mod

That is a beautiful onion.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

45 degrees, overcast and calm here this morning. Seems pretty warm for this late in the season. Ought to be freezing things. How is it there?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Image[/url]grdn365 by James_40 Lofthouse, on Flickr[/img]

This software sucks! Golly gee, I actually got a photo to load Took 17 tries.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I'm definitely enjoying the pictures but think I'm having more fun with your picture posting issues.. :mrgreen:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Image

Now that is an onion.
I would love to grow 350 onions like that in my garden but that will probably never happen in TN I think its too hot here. Probably the best I can hope for is 4 smaller onions = to that 1 large onion. I should have paid better attention to my fathers garden he knew how to grow large onions.

applestar
Mod

I think in your garden, you might be able to grow overwintering varieties like Walla Walla and Candy.

Also, make sure to get the correct varieties for your zone — I think you need Intermediate. Have you checked out your growing zone for onions? My location in southern border of Long day onions along the Atlantic coast, so you need at least Intermediate and I suspect you are not south enough for Short day.

Heat isn’t the issue since one of the biggest onion transplant source is in Texas.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Seems onions bulb up when the days are a certain length. Here I get a bag of onion sets (Long Day) and plant them in April as soon as the snow is gone. They will make some nice big bulbs. If I plant seeds I end up with some marble to golf ball sized onions. I like to plant seeds for the little green onions.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

October 29, sunny 44 degrees here. No storms predicted for the next few days. The plot is tilled and the garlic is planted. Guess we will just enjoy this beautiful weather.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Tuesday Oct 30, 27 degrees at sunrise and not a cloud in sight.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Happy Halloween! Don't let the spooks get you.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nov 1, calm, wet rainy day. Won't be out in the yard today working. So sit here wondering what to do to stay out of mischief? Wife works nights and sleeps days. I am retired so end up with a lot of alone time.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Got a herd of Red-winged Blackbirds on the bird feeder

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

November 17, its 35 degrees and snowing. Reckon the gardening is done for the season? Time to look at seed catalogs.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Clear blue skies, 40 degrees. Not a cloud in sight. Have a bunch of Eu. Doves visiting the bird feeder today. The plot is tilled, the garlic is planted, no snow to shovel yet. So I sit here and play on the computer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Clear Blue Skies this morning. Not a cloud in sight. 17 degrees. The plot is tilled, the garlic is planted, no snow to shovel, so I sit here wondering what to do for the rest of the day?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

James it seems like you could make good use of a small green house. You could get a few crops like onions started a month earlier and let them grow a month longer and get a better crop.

This year I planted onions seeds early I think early March. Planted onion sets in May too. I made no notes just planted and forgot about to see what happens. Seeds did almost as good at the sets.

About 1985 I had a double glass sliding patio door. I hilled soil up high enough to lay glass against the soil hill at about 45 degree angle then shovel soil at both ends to close off both ends to make a tiny green house. I did not plant anything few months later there was a good crop of grass. I decided if grass grows that good all winter next year I plant vegetables. I planted about 10 garlic, few onions, few carrots, they did good.

1976 I worked with a man in Illinois he built 10 wooden boxes with glass at 45 degree angle to plant winter crops. With 8" of snow on the glass sun light goes through the snow into the box his plants grew very well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here in high dry Utah, we usually get June, July and August frost free. Maybe a week on either end. So around 110 days frost free. When winter hits we often get temperatures down to minus ten or so. No we are not going to grow any plants in winter here.

Onions are not the problem. It is tomatoes and peppers that need a boost. IOW you need to start them in a green house for transplanting out about first of June after all danger of frost is gone.

Onions: I plant seed for little green onions. If let to go full season they make bulbs about walnut size. If I plant some small dry onion sets, they will make some very large bulbs.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

December 19, overcast, calm, 30 degrees, no precipitation. Nothing growing outdoors except for ice.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

December 28, 10 degrees, calm, sunny. Nothing growing except for ice. No bees flying today.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

January 7, 40 degrees, overcast, breezy, No bees flying today. 6 inches of snow on the lot. So I take some seed to the bird feeder and come play on the internet.

Its no use..... can't get a picture to load on a bet! Apparently this board software is not going to allow third party hosting?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have 6 months of rain and over cast gray skies fall to spring. I keep lots of summer weather photos to remember what nice weather is like. 3 more month until garden season.
Attachments
Cummins Falls TN
Cummins Falls TN
Silverton CO.
Silverton CO.
Smoky Mountains
Smoky Mountains
Route 66 AZ
Route 66 AZ
Wilderness State Park MI
Wilderness State Park MI
Camping
Camping
Altura Lake ID
Altura Lake ID
Roger Springs NV
Roger Springs NV
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

January 18, calm, overcast with 2 inches of fresh snow on everything. So I go get on the tractor and push out the drive. Took the wild birds some seed and come play on the computer.......

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, what a joke! :evil:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sorry I couldn't bring you the photo.

Today: 11 degrees, sunny, calm with six inches of snow on the lot. So I take the wild birds some seed and come play on the computer. Have a great day!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”