gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Finally able to get in the garden this week

Well, until late yesterday anyway until the rains came back. I got all the okra pulled last week and the ground dried enough for me to till it up and pull some of my rows to plant some fall stuff. I hit the local nursery yesterday morning and picked up broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and some collard green plants already started and got them in the ground. As I was watering them in, the sky opened up and finished the watering job for me.

So, I got about 1/3 of the garden planted and now need to wait for the ground to dry out a bit to pull the remaining rows to get my seeds sown. Then it will be Chard, Kale, leaf lettuces, beets, onions, garlic, turnips and a few other things I haven't decided on just yet.

I do have several volunteer cucumber plants along the trellis I used for them in the spring/summer and they are doing very well and I hope to harvest a few before it gets too cold for them. I also have 4 volunteer tomato plants in a large planter and am looking forward to some cherry tomatoes in a month or so.

I do have one trellis open and will put in some sugar snaps or snow peas in a couple days.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice garden. Here in high dry Northern Utah, we might put in some garlic, but that is about it for a fall planting. We are expecting to get covered up with a foot of snow by mid October.

applestar
Mod

@Gumbo, I know this is your 2nd of the 2-Part annual growing seasons and this is when you have enough time to grow the warm-weather stuff, then the cool weather stuff into spring because of the mild winter. It sounds like you are off to a great start! :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:@Gumbo, I know this is your 2nd of the 2-Part annual growing seasons and this is when you have enough time to grow the warm-weather stuff, then the cool weather stuff into spring because of the mild winter. It sounds like you are off to a great start! :D
I would be easier if it hasn't rained so much these past few months. My garden hardly dries out for very long, if at all to be able to work the soil and pull rows. I managed to get 1/3 of my rows pulled and when planting some stuff yesterday and watering it in, it started raining and has been doing so off and on since then. I now have bayous between my rows and the other parts of the garden are too wet to work, and will be for several days after it quits raining.

But it really is too warm for me to put my leaf lettuces and a few other things in the ground just yet. I tried to jump the gun last year about this time and had to replant lettuces 3 times before they finally came in well enough to make a crop.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”