jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Late Green Beans

I had some green beans coming on so I took a 5 gallon bucket and picked a bucketful of green beans. Now no one wants them. I don't really have time to bottle them, so what do I do with a bucketful of green beans?

applestar
Mod

I remove ends and strings if necessary and just freeze them. They last a while in regular freezer — maybe 3 months — and maybe 6 months in the deep freeze especially if you remove excess air and double bag in freezer ziplock in quart bags then gallon or 2 gallon bags. The frozen beans can be just broken up by hand or partially thawed then cut up with a knife, and tossed into soups and stews, quick cooked for typical green bean side dish casserole, etc. Just use them up before water crystals start freezing inside the bag or they get freezer burned.

In my house, one of our two cats love green beans and will start begging for them as soon as I unzip the freezer bag, only slightly less enthusiastically as when I take the can opener out of the drawer (whether I’m about to open a can of tuna or not :lol: )

Of course if you have time to cook the beans into soup, casserole, etc. first, you could freeze them that way as well for quick extra later.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"In my house, one of our two cats love green beans"

Interesting. We have three cats hanging out here. They are outside cats and do not come in the house, they have the run of the neighborhood, yet I have never seen a cat eat a green bean. They do tend to hold down the mouse and gopher population.

Coming back to the beans, my wife took them to work and found someone who wanted them. I have three rows of beans and only picked the one row. Guess the others can go for dry beans?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Take beans to the homeless shelter or take beans to farmers market and give them away.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I put out the word: I have beans, yours for the picking. No one would come to pick beans. So I am to pick beans then give them away? Guess the critters can have them.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have been going through some of my old cookbooks and saw this recipe.
(recipe is from "Pasta & Co. By Request" page 54)

Ever dressed wonderfully fresh green beans in a vinaigrette only to have the beans turn an unappetizing olive drab? Scratch the vinegar and ice the beans after blanching for a brilliantly green dish.

Recipe: Summer Green Beans and Tomatoes
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 pounds fresh string green beans, trimmed and cut diagonal into 2-inch pieces
4 Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, saving all juices
4 rablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/4 cups onions, sliced into half moons
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Freshly cracked pepper

Boil water in large kettle. Add the 1 tablespoon salt and return to boil. Have ready a large bowl of ice water. Drop beans into boiling water and cook just until tender. Immediately drain and submerge in ice water. When well chilled, drain well and reserve. Toss tomatoes with the 1 teaspoon salt and reserve. In a medium-size saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook just until they begin to color. Add garlic and remove from heat. Immediately fold in remaining olive oil and tomatoes. Toss tomato mixture with beans. Season with freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Makes 6 cups

Onion Half-Moons
Cutting onions in half from top to bottom, laying the cut side flat on a cutting board, and slicing into the onion along its grain lines. This produces little wedges which when cut apart look like crescent or half moons. If the taste of raw onion is too strong for you, place the half-moons in ice water for a few hours before using. Be sure to drain well.

applestar
Mod

In one of my recipe experiment moods, I made chili stew but used green beans and runner beans cut into 1 inch pieces instead of kidney beans. I made it with plenty of meat — I think I used chuck — so even my DH who regularly says “I eat green beans” liked it. Only problem was it didn’t make good leftover chili — the flavor got a lot more green beany and the texture got mushy — so I ended up having to eat most of what was leftover. I won’t make extra next time.

imafan26
Mod

I usually don't have a problem finding someone who could use green beans. I usually give them to my sister, she likes green beans more than I do. I do let some of them dry and save the seeds for planting later. I have a stable variety and bean seeds last for 10 years or more.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

BirdLover, thanks for the recipe.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My Son loves green beans, he talked me into growing extra green beans just for him. He will pick a 1 gallon bucket of green beans, boil them in water with a small piece of salt ham for flavor then eat the whole gallon of beans for dinner all by himself and have no other food with the beans.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Our first frost usually comes the first week of September, but here it is Sept 20 and no killing frost yet, so the beans keep coming.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

.... and the Zucchini Squash keep coming on too. Gee here it is Sept 24 and still no killing frost.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm in the same situation, James.

There was a frost on the 28th of August one year; we are almost a month after that anniversary and no killing frost ... yet. Howsomeever ... there have been a whole bunch of 30 degree overnight lows in the big veggie garden. Most plants have shut down.

The tractor guy was late in the spring. That made me a little late with the peas and getting them out of the way for a late planting of bush beans. I have come to assign July 15 as the last date for that and I was about 5 days late. The purple beans have been blooming it seems forever and there are even tiny pods. They just can't gather enough energy to grow the crop. The Jade beans don't look like they have a chance. All are -- beautiful plants!

Meanwhile, the earlier growth and current production of a late planting of zucchini is really something! Winter squash has mostly been brought in except for those hiding under Jack o'lantern pumpkin vines that have had almost a too good of a growing season.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Well, FWIW, your beans sound like they are at the right stage for turning under as a nitrogen fixer green manure/cover-crop.... whatever you plant in those rows will do well next season. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Most years we get frozen out the first week in September. This year it was about two weeks later. We had some frost last night. Funny it killed some of the squash but other plants survived. Still gotta go plant some garlic, then let 'er snow!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”