Raptors87

What vegetables/fruits can I grow on my condo balcony

I'm planning to move in my condo like late spring. My balcony is 113sqft and I think it facing north or northeast which I assumed that I have very limited sunlight.

I was wondering if there are any vegetables and fruits that I can grow on the balcony?

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. Can I assume from your username that you're in the GTA? ;) You might be able to get away with bush tomatoes and peppers if you get enough morning and evening sun. Greens might do well with less light - lettuce, swiss chard, etc; especially this time of year when the sun is not as high in the sky. Doesn't hurt to try. Are you moving into a building that's already there? Can you scout it out and see what the balconies look like in terms of direct sunlight?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what GTA is. It would help to know your location. But no a north facing balcony in the northern hemisphere will get very little direct sunlight. Personally I would not try tomatoes or peppers or any other full sun types unless you can provide lighting for them (needs to be dedicated lights very close up).

Lettuce, spinach and other leafy greens would be your best bets. You could try some of the other cool weather crops including broccoli, kale, bok choi, celery.

Raptors87

Yes I live in the GTA, specifically Oakville, ON in Canada for people who don't know GTA.

I have another condo building on the right side which I think it will block the morning sun.

Yes the condo building is already built.. it a 10 years old and I have the condo for 3 years now

imafan26
Mod

North side would be on the shadier side. It also depends on whether the condo faces an open area or another building which might block more sun.
I don't think you could grow many high light fruiting vegetables and on a balcony bigger plants can be a problem especially if the balcony is small. If you do tomatoes they would have to be indeterminate or basket varieties and they would still need 6 hours of good sunlight or artificial light if you can provide that. Almost every fruiting plant will have high light requirements.

I agree with Rainbow that leafy greens would have a better chance. Lettuce, spinach, kale, arugula, and Asian greens. If you would consider herbs, bay leaf, mint, scallions, leeks, chard, fennel, ginger, beets,carrots,chives, parsley, cilantro, culantro, can grow in partial shade. Nasturtiums, pansy and viola, fibrous begonia, have edible leaves and flowers and can grow in partial shade if there is enough light for them to bloom. I would only try basil if you can get a mini greenhouse on your lanai and use grow lights. Basil will get lanky without a lot of light. Chili peppers like thai hot (it grows less than a foot tall normally), would not take up a lot of space in a mini greenhouse. You could grow microgreens in a mini greenhouse. It is a fast crop and does not need a lot of vertical space. You could actually try mushroom farming and sprouting seeds as an option. Those would actually need a shelf or cabinet where you actually want them to grow in darkness.

applestar
Mod

I was guessing Greater Toronto Area...?

Raptors87

@applestar You are correct

@iamafan26 the balcony is built inside the building, it not sticking out. So there is another balcony on top for every floor

Lettuce and other related leafy greens is what I'm afraid of... It a bit boring haha

Not sure on the artificial lighting ... Have to check with the condo bylaws on that.

Beets and carrots ain't bad... What about fingerling potatoes?

Really?!... That weird that mushroom grow in the dark

applestar
Mod

Yay! :>

...Once you start talking supplemental/grow lights, you could also get creative inside the condo. I’ve always had houseplants, and when I opted to choose a better floor plan apartment with practically no sun exposure, I mirror-tiled a corner of the living room and used canister up-lights to bounce the light within the corner-space.

...Also set up deep shelving unit between the open kitchen to dining room space and used some shelves for display and books, and hang fluorescent lights under some for flowering plants on the shelves below.

If your kitchen is big enough with spare counter space, bright lights under the upper cabinets would be a good starter space.

imafan26
Mod

You might want to look into something like the aero garden or indoor tower garden as a concept. If you can provide the right kind of lighting, it opens up many possibilities.

Mushrooms grow in the dark humusy forest floors. I heard of people raising them commercially in windowless basements on shelving with environmental controls. They need to be cool and dark. Sprouting seeds are usually put in a jar in a kitchen cabinet to sprout. You do have to rinse them out and harvest them in a few days, but it requires no soil and it is a very quick crop. You can get sprouting seeds from most organic vegetable stores or online. Bulk seeds will last a long time.

Raptors87

@applestar aren't grow lights expensive?

I don't have a huge kitchen space. my condo is 613sqft plus 113sqft balcony ... probably have like one small space in the corner of the kitchen grow a low height plant

@iamafan26 interesting on the aerogarden/ indoor tower garden... I checked aerogarden, it pretty limited selection like cherry tomato, hot peppers, herbs and lettuce/leafy green

I don't think I will grow mushrooms because I don't really eat mushrooms that much

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You don't need fancy grow lights, just common fluorescent tubes. You just need some way to have them right down next to your plants.

This was the seed starting operation I had for years:

It was a counter top with two shelves wall mounted over it, with fluorescent tube shop light fixtures hung from each one, on chains so they could be lowered and raised as the plants grew. It was 8 feet long, but you wouldn't need that much. But even if you only used two foot long fluorescent tubes, by stacking them like that, you could have six feet of growing space in two feet of counter area.

Raptors87

rainbowgardener wrote:You don't need fancy grow lights, just common fluorescent tubes. You just need some way to have them right down next to your plants.

This was the seed starting operation I had for years:

It was a counter top with two shelves wall mounted over it, with fluorescent tube shop light fixtures hung from each one, on chains so they could be lowered and raised as the plants grew. It was 8 feet long, but you wouldn't need that much. But even if you only used two foot long fluorescent tubes, by stacking them like that, you could have six feet of growing space in two feet of counter area.
oh wow... quite a setup

thats a lot of potential plants... they are all edible?

I attached some pics of the condo, it not my furniture, it my tenant... I got the pics from the listing at the time when I bought the condo a few years ago, the pictures aren't in great quality but just to give you a general idea of what my condo look like.
Attachments
IMG_20180110_174824.jpg
IMG_20180110_174754.jpg
IMG_20180110_174819.jpg
IMG_20180110_174832.jpg

applestar
Mod

It depends on how you’ve decorated it, but 3 possible spots My eyes went to are —

1) the wall where heart painting and chair are - a good location for a tall wire shelving unit DIY’d with fluorescent light fixtures (or if you have the budget, a dedicated lighted plant growing shelf unit)
2) living room corner next to sink/breakfast counter — mirror (or do what I do and double side tape Mylar emergency blanket on walls and ceiling. Hang fluorescent lights vertically
3) corner counter on the kitchen side might be a good aerogarden candidate.

Balcony is very nice with a view, but looks structurally too dark especially since north facing. But it appears to be rain sheltered, so I might consider a lighted shelf unit. But more likely, I think better to display north-facing window compatible foliage houseplants. If you want, you could grow monstera philodendron which in tropics would produce edible fruit after growing to a gigantuan size....and pretend you are growing an edible... or hang ferns ir ivy in the balcony to bring inside of the grass doors during the winter months. You might be able to grow sweet potato vines and eat the leaves and shoots.

One type fun edible to grow in low light is sprouts/microgreens which imafan mentioned. They don’t need sunlight, in fact you don’t want sunlight. I could picture a row of jars in front of that sink, each growing a different sprout — alfalfa, radish, clover, maybe fenugreek, mungbean, .... it"s best to grow sprouts next to the sink because it’s easier to be attentive and rinse often.

Herbs like parsley, leaf celery, and basil are easy, and marjoram does well under lights. So are mints and lemon balm. Lemon grass is also easy to grow in low light and so are ginger and turmeric. Go with Chard or fast growing mustard family Asian greens instead of lettuce — or choose sturdy lettuce like Batavian or cos type. Loose leaf type which are already soft and floppy are impossible in the indoor environment IMHO. Plan on cut-and come again micro greens or harvest outer leaves as they reach size, rather than waiting for them to become fully headed.

For indoor edible growing fruiting plants under lights, definitely consider peppers. I find them easy winter indoor garden plants as long as you provide reasonably sufficiently bright light 2000 lumens or more. Daylight/full spectrum.

For other fruiting type plants, look for early maturing varieties — 45-55 Days —because it will take longer due to lower light. Try growing micro dwarf tomatoes. And true dwarf peas like Tom Thumb and Sugar Sprint. Bush beans actually grow OK indoors but you won’t get very much — think Garnish and soup addition rather than side dish.

Try looking for indoor mushroom growing kits — There are many and not all mushrooms grow in the dark. I have tried oyster mushrooms and Shiitake (they need indirect light), and they provide fantastic instant gratification in about 45 days, as long as you can maintain the required environment. I had to give up after a while (several months of fun and harvest) due to fungus gnat infestation but realize I also had a house full of potted plants and it was impossible to eradicate them completely. You wouldn’t have as much problem since you are likely to be able to isolate, etc. and have less chance of initial infestation. I can’t make recommendations since you are in Canada, but maybe other Canadian members will know some good sources.

Raptors87

1. yeah it a good space.. what exactly a DIY tall wire shelving look like? ... uhh "budget" on dedicated lighted plant growing shelf unit? how expensive is this unit? lol
2. not sure about that because I have a big family on both side, I have 11 cousins on my mom's side alone lol .. easily 20+ in total just on my mom's... I need some space and make sure they aren't messing the garden so putting in the kitchen give it some distance while people socializing in the living/dining area... also I want to put a shelf unit there because I got cookbooks (I'm a pastry chef) and got some memories stuff from my dad that I would to have it on display
3. aerogarden is not a bad candidate ... just depends if it worth taking countertop space since I have limited space

yeah the view is nice, thanks ... is there a site where I know for sure I'm facing north or northeast? ... yeah it rain sheltered, there is a balcony above me, it the same for every floor except the top floor (lucky for them :P). I don't want to do house plants on the balcony or inside, so I'm fine with just patio furniture. I did a quick glance of the forum topics, it intriguing to do a bonsai, it small and look more interesting comparing to typical house plants.

microgreen aint a bad idea...what do you eat sprouts with? I heard because sprouts and bacteria, it could be unsafe to eat raw.

I would like to grow herbs comparing to buying a bunch of packages of herbs for like $4 each and it a lot for a single guy lol ... comparing growing my own, I can take a little bit at a time while they are still growing and last longer comparing to store-bought herbs and save money.

peppers? as in bell peppers? not hot peppers?... aren't they tall like cherry tomato plants?

I don't have a lot of experiences eating mushrooms, it not popular in my family... you are making me nervous on fungus gnat infestation lol

imafan26
Mod

You can't really grow large sun loving plants in a small space. Only the most compact tomatoes can grow in small spaces. If you don't have any space indoors either, you should look into what you can grow on a shelf. I don't know what shelves cost there, but plastic shelves are not that expensive, even in Hawaii. I can get a 4 shelf unit for $22. It was 2ft wide and 4ft high. On a shelf like that you would only be able to put short plants and you would need to add artificial lighting and a reflective backing.

Another option would be if there are community gardens where you may be able to get on a wait list. Some private owners provide community garden space like in elderly housing, and rooftop gardens.

Raptors87

There are no community garden nearby

What kind of short/dwarf vegetables/fruits I can grow ... How are they comparing to regular plants based on taste and texture?

applestar
Mod

I mentioned some in this post including specific varieties. I usually only mention varieties I’ve grown and liked before.

Use search box at top left for “micro dwarf tomato” I explained them at length elsewhere.

If you have specific veg in mind, I can elaborate with my experiences.

Raptors87

I checked the condo bylaws... not allow to have lights on the balcony except christmas time period which is 3 weeks before and after christmas day... so grow lights are out :(

You mentioned ...

- sprouts/microgreens
- Herbs, I would do thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano and maybe mint (I don't cook with mint, might do it with drinks but don't use that much)
- leafy greens like Chard
- fast growing mustard family Asian greens instead of lettuce... like bok choy?
- sturdy lettuce like Batavian or cos type.

what is Loose leaf type? which are already soft and floppy are impossible in the indoor environment.

- bell peppers
- other fruiting type plants, look for early maturing varieties — 45-55 Days
- micro dwarf tomatoes
- true dwarf peas like Tom Thumb and Sugar Sprint.
- indoor mushroom growing kits

what about zucchini, radishes, strawberry, berries, fingerling potatoes?

applestar
Mod

Raptors87 wrote: - Herbs, I would do thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano and maybe mint (I don't cook with mint, might do it with drinks but don't use that much)
- thyme - for me, creeping thyme has been fine for me, but regular thyme was temperamental in indoor garden
- rosemarie - I overwinter rosemary every year. Rosemary need brighter light if kept at room temp., but can manage with less light when kept in 40’s to 50’s °F
- sage - needs seriously bright light — same Level as seedlings at first sprouting stage and flowering/fruiting plants
- oregano - I have Greek oregano — imho it grows too huge to keep inside
... have you tried sweet marjoram? I prefer it to oregano in many dishes and it ha been easy to grow under lights.
- mint is easy. I have spearmint, peppermint, apple mint. Added chocolate mint and orange mint this year. Need to decide which of these to bring inside during the winter. I have lemon balm, too. It’s better as dried herb. I prefer lemony-r scent of lemon verbena, but no longer have room to keep indoors so allow to go dormant in the garage during the winter. Lemon verbena tends to get red spider mites indoors even where none existed before anyway. I prefer mint for herbal teas, but am/was trying to experiment with making mint ice cream.
what is Loose leaf type? which are already soft and floppy are impossible in the indoor environment.
Open non-heading type lettuce. Usually has no true rib.
what about zucchini, radishes, strawberry, berries, fingerling potatoes?
- Zukes get HUGE and need direct sun
- radishes need more light and deeper containers than you might think. I wasn’t successful growing them indoors, but maybe someone else has done it?
- strawberries - I bring some of my alpine strawberries in but I keep them in the unheated garage under 4-tube t8 fluorescent fixture, where they keep pumping out berries. They didn’t do well in the house — too Warm, I think.
- I haven’t tried potatoes

Raptors87

seem like most herbs I mentioned are a bit tough to maintain indoor lol

I just have a problem with mint on what to do with it...my only concern

thats a lot of different mints you got haha... why the variety?

I will probably do...

- microgreen/sprouts
- cherry tomato
- bell peppers
- strawberry
- chard
- bok choy
- peas/beans
- fingerling potato (have to find out on that)

Do you think to possible to do all those veggies? space wise?

what about carrots and beets?

applestar
Mod

*** Make sure not to confuse “cherry tomatoes” with micro dwarf or patio container varieties.
- Most regular cherry tomato varieties have growth characteristic of tall/lanky vines that grow up to 8-10 feet while sprouting side shoots non-stop. They need 5 gallon container minimum, though you can stunt them in 2 gallon container (they won’t suffer from diminished fruit size but fruit trusses will be smaller and they will still try to grow to full length. When roots fill the container, they will get stressed and become vulnerable to pests and diseases).
- Micro-dwarfs only grow to 18 to 24 inches tall and need 1-2 gallon container max.
- Patio varieties may grow up to 2-3 feet and may need 2-5 gallon container depending on variety. There are some patio varieties that are suitable for growing in 11-14 inch hanging baskets. (I call them “basket case” for fun. :wink:)

*** I’m going to suggest not trying the potatoes unless you have the room. Potatoes take up the space and grow for the entire season 90-120 days during which you need to give them good care, but you won’t find out until you dig them up whether anything came of all that work. Fingerings are smaller already, but still may be stunted by container growing, which might mean even smaller and not very satisfactory harvest.

Raptors87

yeah I have cherry tomato right now, growing them at my parents right now... growing taller than me and I'm 6 feet... I underestimated them lol

pretty cool they have different type of tomatoes to make it suitable for different people and needs... funny on the basket case

thats a bummer on the potatoes idea

so in the nutshell... I can grow tomato, strawberry, sweet pepper, some herbs, lettuce/leafy/ asian greens, microgreens/sprout and peas/beans

anything else I can potentially grow?

imafan26
Mod

If you cannot have a lighted greenhouse on the balcony, we are talking about growing in an indoor greenhouse. Do you have room for that?
Apple does grow tomatoes in her house so there are some varieties that will work. Peppers are also relatively high light but can be grown under lights. Beans would be bush beans and again they are high light. You might be able to grow carrots indoors. Green onions, chives, ginger, turmeric are also possibilities. You may be able to grow a coffee tree, but it would be a tall plant. Bay leaves can grow in shade. You might be able to do basil under high light.

Raptors87

Can do a wire rack from like costco and hang light from it ... I can adjust the height of the shelves

Need short/dwarf size to accommodate it ... Hope that would work

applestar
Mod

Depending on plants, you can let grow through the wire to next level.

Raptors87

I saw the prices for aerogarden... ridiculously high

applestar
Mod

They have special sales before Christmas (And after). I think about buying then, but haven’t ....yet. :wink:

Raptors87

Which one are you thinking of buying?

Raptors87

You think the most cost effective or saving money things to grow indoors are microgreen, sprouts and herbs?

imafan26
Mod

Sprouts are easy. They sell sprouting jars, but you can make your own. You just need a glass jar and a lid with holes and a dark cabinet. Wash the jar in a dishwasher or boil the jar so it is very clean. You can buy sprouting seeds at most organic or vegetarian stores, or online. Some seeds can be bought at a regular grocery and sprouted if they are not treated. Soy beans, radish are a couple of things I have seen sprouted besides mung beans. You could do alfalfa sprouts too. It does take time to rinse the sprouts and you do have to harvest them on time before they get to big.
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn ... seeds-jar/
https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/sprouts/

I would hang the lights on chains and move them up and down instead of moving the shelves. It is less work. You will need to space the shelves far enough apart to allow the plants to reach their full height so the shelves cannot be too close together.
https://wholefully.com/grow-microgreens-indoors/

applestar
Mod

You can also make sprouted peas and grains, and soaked/activated nuts, which are not “grown” but are harvested as soon as they have germinated.

Note too that if you stick with seeds that are cold hardy, you can keep them in the refrigerator to avoid spoilage when you can’t rinse them as frequently as is ideal.

Also, unlike the white/pale mungbean sprouts and soy sprouts, some sprouts like alfalfa, clover, and daikon radish sprouts are greener and are not kept in the dark. That’s why I was thinking counter space near the sink would be handy.

I got into it a while back — I grow sprouts during the cold months now
:arrow: Subject: Experienced sprout growers -- I have questions!

...I had to chuckle at myself when you asked about cost — I tend to grow for the fun of it and not think too much about cost, so I don’t know if I am actually saving money ... but I haven’t bought any ginger, rosemary, parsley, oregano, marjoram, mint, basil, or thyme in a long time and have no idea how much they cost. Garlic either, but that’s not really for indoor growing.

BUT another fun indoor grow I recommend is onion and garlic bottoms For the green tops — regular indoor gardening activity during the winter for me.

When you prep them for eating, cut off generous portion of the bottom in a pyramid shape, also about 1 inch of scallion bottoms, and push them in 5 to 6 inch deep minimum container of moistened good organic potting mix. Keep in bright enough light to read by (doesn’t have to be premium center spot in grow shelf — maybe ends where it’s less bright)

I would not suggest it now because they are not easy to grow from seeds in cold area, but next spring when they become available, buy some started pepper plants and try growing them in brightest part of your plant shelf set up. I haven’t bought hot peppers of any kind in ages because I overwinter the ones grown in the garden in the summer, and the produce off and on all year long. Bell and other thick walled bigger fruited pepper plants are not as easy to grow indoors, but smaller fruited peppers or stunted larger peppers are do-able.

applestar
Mod

Raptors87

my concern for growing micro greens is the discarding of the soil after harvest since I can't send to compost or whatever and also dealing with soil in the condo, carrying them in, store them somewhere and I have to do it constantly because I have to do a fresh tray of soil for the new crop of micro green

it fine with growing a plant like tomato growing and harvesting for at least some months where I don't have to change the soil so often

I researched that micro green are more nutritional than sprouts

imafan26
Mod

Well, I don't know about that. I usually replace my potting soil every season. Soil should not be that hard to get rid of. There must be some ground somewhere. I would think microgreens would be easier to dispose of since you don't use that much soil.

applestar
Mod

If you have the budget, Microgreens can be gown on sheets of synthetic felt or kenaf. Try the sproutpeople link where you can get detailed instructions for growing sprouts and microgreens to see if you are up for it — I probably mentioned this in the sprouts thread.

See if that alternative is more to your idea of gardening — this will make it more like hydroponics in that it will become nutrient solution based rather than potting mix/growing medium based cultivation. I won’t be able to help much with that but imafan and other members are familiar with this kind of growing method.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In studying toe roots of plants, it is seen that most go as wide underground as the pannt is above ground and go as deep as 3 to 8 feet. Hard to do in a pot. IOW to grow in pots you are severely restricting your plants growth potential.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In studying the roots of plants, it is seen that most go as wide underground as the plant is above ground and go as deep as 3 to 8 feet. Hard to do in a pot. IOW to grow in pots you are severely restricting your plants growth potential.

Hmmmm....... didn't have the option to edit my original comment, so I copied it over here to fix it. (henceforth: write, read, fix mistakes, read again, if correct then post!)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”