PraticalGardener
Cool Member
Location: Potomac Highlands region, West Virginia, USA (Zone 6a?)

Beans going to seed, a term to differentiate if plants die?

Is there a particular garden term for string bean plants that can produce seeds while also producing new bean pods, rather than the ones that simply die off as they go to seed? With the Scarlet Red Runner String Bean, I can let some individual bean pods go to seed, yet keep on harvesting some younger ones to eat from the same living bean plant.

Based on my experiences over the past 3years:
1/2 State Runner String Beans (white seeds) will have the plants die when you allow them to go to seed.
Scarlet Red Runner String Beans can go to seed, yet produces new bean pods.
Rattlesnake String Beans can go to seed, yet produces new bean pods.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

All the beans I have planted in the past 50 years, beans that are not picked will turn brown and dry out, they are good for seeds to plant next year. The same plants produce green beans to eat. It is easy to pick beans for dinner and miss 1 bean that dries out and becomes seeds for next year. First harvest is always best about 65% of the total summer crop. Second harvest about 25%. Third harvest about 10%. After that I let the whole bean crop make what ever it can for seeds, I let the bean dry out then I harvest them for next years seeds. This is my third year harvesting Blue Lake Bush Beans they are as good now as they were 3 years ago. Last year I saved about 800 seeds. Not sure yet how many seeds I will have this year. 160 seeds will be enough for a 40 ft long row.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I'm not aware of a different term. The closest comparison I can think of is determinate vs indeterminate tomatoes. Not a great comparison, especially considering that even determinate tomatoes can cough up another small crop. Maybe that's why there's no term for it; the beans we eat are simply being harvested immature, while the seed beans are matured and dried out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am not aware of a different term. I suggest keep records of what you plant then make notes as you harvest. IOW keep a garden journal. Then you can go back and read what was done and how it turned out. Unfortunately the ol memory banks don't keep everything accessible and hate to say it, but the older you get the worse the memory is.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”