Browndog
Newly Registered

Name that squash!

Hi all. First time poster and first time vegetable gardener.

Does anybody know what type of squash this is? ( at least I think it is a squash?) :D
Attachments
image.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm........ can't say on the squash. What did you plant? Is it something that came up volunteer? If so it is likely a hybrid.

Welcome to the forum.

Browndog
Newly Registered

jal_ut wrote:Hmmmm........ can't say on the squash. What did you plant? Is it something that came up volunteer? If so it is likely a hybrid.

Welcome to the forum.
Hi Jal. It was left here by the previous home owners so we've no idea what it is! It is getting to a decent size now so we may pick it. It's the only fruit on the plant. Thanks for the response.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

From the stem, it's a maxima squash, more winter- than summer squash. I'd wait a good while after it stops growing for it to ripen.

applestar
Mod

Even if you end up harvesting premature, maxima squashes that have strong sweet flavor when mature taste great as immature squash. :-()

...this has been a relief since I often lose maxima squash vines to Squash Vine Borers and don’t get to harvest fully grown mature fruits..

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The squash varieties all freely cross pollinate and they cross with anything in the gourd family. The bees spread the pollen around, so next year any volunteers or plants from seed you save will likely be something different than what you had this season. If growing squash it is best to plant seed from a reputable seed supplier, then you may get what you expected. I will say though that some of the volunteers have had some good eating squash on them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”